GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Not Another Noob Help Thread

Started by FroMan, December 28, 2011, 09:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FroMan

I got a eTrex Venture HC for Christmas a few days ago. I've looked over the "adding maps to BaseCamp" tutorial numerous times and I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

I have an Arkansas Topo Map downloaded. When I link to the folder through Windows it shows all of the image files and also the TDB files. However, when I click that option in the MapSetToolKit it doesn't show any files in the folder whatsoever.  I tried to manually add the files through the other method stated in the tutorial, but to no avail.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm as green as can be. Thanks for the help.

Indrid Cold

You don't use MapSetToolkit to install that map, it comes with a self installer. Run the download.exe to install it.

FroMan

I did the self-installer for it initially but it didn't show up in BaseCamp which is why I tried to go the MapInstallKit route.

Perhaps I should uninstall and reinstall it.

Indrid Cold

What OS do you have on your computer?

Give this pinned thread a look: link

neotoxo

Hey Froman...I got my WIN7 64 bit system going but did it kind of backwards...
Here is the order I followed...
1st...I uninstalled both MapSource and BaseCamp programs from my computer from the Control Panel "Uninstall Programs"
2nd...I downloaded and installed "My_Trails_install.exe" found here...
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53/
3rd...I reinstalled BaseCamp
4th...reinstalled the Arkansas Topo map

After doing that Basecamp found the map files and opened them up for viewing... ;D

Also, turn off "Basic Map Only   Ctrl+G" under View in the top toolbar...that will allow the detail for the map to show  ;)

Additionally I noticed that the Ark Topo doesn't show the new bypass from J'Ville to I40 but the Global Map does...

Thanks to all who posted suggestions...I guess the order of installation has something to do with the programs finding each other too... ???

FroMan

Got the maps into Basecamp. Thanks for the help Neo. Now if I can just get these things put on my GPS...

Any recommendations for good (preferably free) aerial view maps that I can put on the GPS?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: FroMan on December 29, 2011, 09:22:04 PM
Got the maps into Basecamp. Thanks for the help Neo. Now if I can just get these things put on my GPS...

Any recommendations for good (preferably free) aerial view maps that I can put on the GPS?
For a eTrex Venture HC? The Arkansas TOPO is about all you are going to be able to use.

Boyd

Aerial views are a form of "raster imagery" - maps that are made from pictures that have been aligned to the face of the earth. Unfortunately the old eTrex series doesn't support that kind of map.