GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Changing contour intervals in a mapset - your comments

Started by maps4gps, March 24, 2009, 10:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maps4gps

I am testing creating a 'map' using a contour interval for each 7-1/2 minute area as is used on the printed USGS 24K quad map.  This would allow the maximum detail from the source data without 'overcontouring'.

Do you think a changing CI (to reflect the topography) would be useful, or would you find it confusing, etc?

Attached is a gmapsupp.img file (in overlay/transparent mode) for the Blanca Peak 100K (30x60') quad in southern Colorado (LR corner at 105W & 37.5N) where the 32 component 24ks use 5, 10, 20 & 40 foot CIs.

Your comments would be appreciated.

Indrid Cold

Personally, I find that this works quite well when used in conjunction with printed maps.

-Oz-

I like the idea of changing; i did it in a few of my maps when there were very very large CI changes.

Can't look at the map from my current location though :)

Do you have an automated way to do the changes yet or?
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

The script file that GlobalMapper is running to contour the NED data has the CI for each quadrangle.

Indrid Cold

I think I missed something somewhere ??? What script file?

maps4gps

In GlobalMapper, under file, about half way down the dropdown is 'run script'
The .gms (globalmapper script) file is an ascii text file with globalmapper commands.
You can not do everything that is available from the normal interface and many of the parameters are defined differently.
Have you looked at: http://www.globalmapper.com/helpv11/ScriptReference.html

Indrid Cold