News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

very confused newbie

Started by jasonkn88, December 26, 2011, 04:33:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jasonkn88

Hey everyone,

So I just purchased a new Garmin Etrex 30 for my first ever GPS as a Christmas gift, and I have to say I am very confused. I've read the tutorials, downloaded Garmin BaseCamp as well as the CA topo map from this site. However, I cannot figure out how to upload the files into BaseCamp. For reference, I'm using Snow Leopard as my OS and I can't find a MapSource or MapInstaller program that works. The one from the Garmin website says its unmountable. Any help would be appreciated!

Boyd

Is Basecamp installed on your Mac now? If so, then MapInstall and MapManager should also be installed. Look in your Applications folder, you should see

Garmin Basecamp.app
Garmin MapInstall.app
Garmin MapManager.app

If not, then something must have gone wrong with the install because this is what I have on my Mac. Mapsource is a Windows only program, you don't need it and should disregard any mention of it in the tutorials as it won't apply to the Mac.

Did you specifically download a *Mac Version* of the map? Different authors have used somewhat different packaging for the Mac versions. Some of them will be a file with a .tgz extension. Others may be a file with a .dmg extension. Double-clicking a .tgz file should extract the .gmapi file IIRC. Double-clicking a .dmg file will cause it to mount as though it were a disk. If the file you downloaded has an .exe extension, then that isn't Mac-compatible, it's a Windows installer. Go back and download the Mac version (if available).

Either way, you should be able to open it up and find a .gmapi file. Double-clicking the .gmapi file should cause Garmin MapManager to start and ask you to confirm whether you want to install the map. Click yes and you will be all set. See this tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

Basecamp also has a reasonably good built-in help system.

Yes, this can all be very confusing, but once you learn it won't be bad. If you want simplicity and user-friendliness, you can purchase maps from Garmin that are literally plug-and-play. Of course, you will pay a premium for that. :)

jasonkn88

i couldnt download basecamp from the Garmin website either for the same reason. It says no mountable file systems. So I downloaded BaseCamp through the App store. I looked in my Apps folder and I don't see the Map Manager or Installer. I downloaded the right file as well made for macs. Would the MapManager/ Installer be in the BaseCamp app?

Boyd

Are you sure you downloaded the Mac version of Basecamp? There is also a Windows version. This is the Mac version: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

I upgraded to this version on my own Mac a couple weeks ago without incident, and it installed all three programs I mentioned. Sorry, don't know about the app store, have never used it. I'm still on MacOSX 10.5.8, I don't think that even supports the app store, does it?

Garmin has their own forum for Basecamp support, have a look here: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=171

skraeling

Hmm... looks like I am extremely limited as a "newbie"... frustrating.

Jasonkn88 I sent you a PM with the steps I had to take to be able to get maps loaded into the mac basecamp - hopefully it made it thru.

jasonkn88

Thanks for all of your help!

Unfortunately I'm still having the same problem. I tried downloading the specific Mac versions of both MapInstaller and BaseCamp, but i keep on getting "no mountable file systems" when trying to open the file. I've never had so much problem with technology before in my life haha

skraeling

Hmm... I am running lion - you mentioned snow leopard - dont know if that version difference is the source of your problem.

skraeling

will take a stab at getting my steps posted again for any others that are having the same issue.

Long time windows user and just converted to Mac (running Lion)... this is what I found I had to do

Note - links not posted as actual links to get around the "you are not allowed to post external links" issue.

1.) install basecamp from the app store.  This install does NOT include the map installers needed.

2.) Go here: www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp
     then click on Mapinstall - it should take you here: www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-06
     then click on download and then download again.  This should download the .dmg file you need for the map installers.  Install.

Or you can try this link - it should take you straight to the final download page
www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=3825

3.) download the (mac) topo maps from here.

4.) Extract the topo - you should end up with a .gmapi file.  Note - if you dont have the Map installer software installed (from step 2), the .gmapi file will just show up as a folder.

5.) double click the gmapi file (assuming the map installer is installed) and it will install the topo maps into base camp.

jasonkn88

It could be. For now, I'm just going to use my PC at home to do the maps until I can figure out this problem. If anyone can help me figure it out on the mac though I would greatly appreciate it!

Boyd

Try the Garmin support forum I linked to above. The software developers themselves help people with problems there.

babj615

Remember, "Everything Just Works on a MAC..."

I have both, and always find the MACs to much more bother than the PC's.

The last MAC user I helped installed TeamViewer so I could take control of their MAC over the internet long enough to get it all sorted out.

Very difficult sorting all this out here in the forum.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Indrid Cold

Quote from: jasonkn88 on December 26, 2011, 05:02:45 PM
i couldnt download basecamp from the Garmin website either for the same reason. It says no mountable file systems. So I downloaded BaseCamp through the App store. I looked in my Apps folder and I don't see the Map Manager or Installer. I downloaded the right file as well made for macs. Would the MapManager/ Installer be in the BaseCamp app?
MapManager and MapInstall are bundled in the BaseCamp download from the AppStore. They don't show up in your Applications folder as they are hidden within the BaseCamp.app So if you have downloaded BaseCamp for Macintosh and installed it, you will have also downloaded and installed MapManager and MapInstall. You do not have the download them separately anymore. Oh, and I have been using the Garmin Mac software as of day 1 of project BobCat right up to the current stuff on a current Mac. Yes, it just works.