GPSFileDepot.com

Mapsource or Basecamp...display two mapsets simultaniously?

Started by woodstramp, December 25, 2011, 11:06:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodstramp

Hello,

I've mainly used MS and have been goofing around with BC lately.  I was creating some preplanned routes using the My Trails (transparent) mapset.  One thing that bugs me is that I can cut and display multiple layers from different mapsets and send to a GPS and see them on that GPS, but I cannot "see" this layering while on either MS or BC. 

I have used Delorme's topo software in the past.....that is one thing I did like about their software....if I had a color aerial section and stock trail info, these can be seen together in a 'hybrid" mode.

It would be cool if MS or BC could do this too.  For instance, have MyTrails layered over a topo map, so that they could both be seen on the PC screen at the same time.

Maybe this  already can be done and I've just missed the steps?  If so, can someone share how it might be done?  Thanks.

Boyd

Basecamp can display a "custom map" - JPEG raster imagery inside a .kmz file - at the same time as an ordinary Garmin vector map (.img files). But it cannot display two ordinary Garmin vector maps at the same time. This is a common complaint, and maybe Garmin will eventually address it - see this thread on their support forum: https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=17533

Although the Basecamp developers are great and have been extremely responsive to user requests, I'm not sure that this one will ever make it since people want to use it with third party maps. Garmin considers their format proprietary and all the tools we use to create these maps have been reverse engineered by third parties.

So I think it's part of a bigger problem of Garmin's reluctance to provide an official way for us to create maps in their format. Their current stance is basically to ignore the existence of third party maps, and I suppose that's better than sicking their lawyers on the people who make the tools we use to create them.

BTW - Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!  :)

woodstramp

Thanks for the reply, Boyd.

Guess that makes sense, from Garmin's POV. 

Merry Christmas back at you..and thanks.

Seldom

I'm pretty sure that Garmin "Rails to Trails" maps are transparent, since they suggest using them with their 24k Topo series maps:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=89579

But maybe the MapSource/BaseCamp developers aren't interested in supporting them.

Boyd

I think they should allow more than one mapset to be displayed in Basecamp also. But my point was, I have never seen anybody complain that they want to use "rails to trails" or any other Garmin product along with another mapset. All the posts I've seen on the subject are related to third party maps.

babj615

We can view third party maps with Garmin maps simultaneously on the GPSr's Garmin produce, so why not let us view the same maps simultaneously in BaseCamp?

What do you have to lose by making your products even more enjoyable and easy to use?

Probably just gonna make that many more happy users/customers.

Take the high road, Garmin.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on December 25, 2011, 05:55:16 PM
I think they should allow more than one mapset to be displayed in Basecamp also. But my point was, I have never seen anybody complain that they want to use "rails to trails" or any other Garmin product along with another mapset. All the posts I've seen on the subject are related to third party maps.
I just posted  this on the Garmin thread you linked to above.