GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

A few questions

Started by JF12, March 21, 2009, 05:56:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JF12

I'm new to the mapping game here but found a great site with awesome information ;D.  First of all  I just bought a Vista Hcx and I am very pleased with the unit.  Big upgrade of my previous Legend.  I downloaded the USA Maps here along with some select Topos in WI with no issues.  Just a few questions, and I'm sorry if these are too basic...I couldn't find the answers searching the forums. 

1.  I was trying to figure out how to delete maps from my GPS.  I dowloaded a few small topo maps to test the download/load process that I wanted to remove.  But, it appears each time I send maps to GPS, it removes the other maps that were loaded (I think).  Is this the only way to delete maps from my GPS?

2.  Is there anyway to consolidate all of the smaller maps into one larger map?  I would like to turn on/off the topo maps when I'm not using them, since I have USA Maps + topos.  It is very clunky to go through the 500+ maps to get to the topo maps.  If I can't consolidate I think the next best option is to put the topo maps on the top of the mapsource before I send to my unit.  Then, the topo maps show up on the top of my map information screen so I can review them first.

3.  Highway view on the Garmin Vista Hcx.  What would be the best download to utilize this view if any? Seems even with USA maps it only show interstates or major highways, not roads.

4.  Lake details - Are there any downloads for Wis or Midwest lake structure similar to Navionics or Lakemaster available?  Any other basic maps with some level of lake detail? I've been searching with no luck.

Thanks for any help you give me on these questions.  This is an awesome site! 

Boyd

1. Are you loading the maps into the unit's internal memory, or on a micro SD card? Plug the unit into the computer and you will see a USB drive representing the Vista and another for the card (if inserted). The maps you are loading will be in the folder named Garmin in one of these places. They will be named gmapsupp.img and you can just delete that file. But be sure you understand what you are doing, because there will be no other clue as to WHAT that map is (other than the timestamp). You can have one file of that name in each place (card and internal).

You could also use a program like sendmap20 which you will find here: http://cgpsmapper.com/buy.htm I think it has an option to erase the maps in your GPS.

2. In mapsource you select the segments you want from any mapsets installed on your computer, then send them all together to the GPS. You will be able to select the different maps on the GPS after installing.

3. I never thought highway view was useful, so I don't know.

4. Don't know of any specific lake maps, but they might exist. I've made my own maps of New Jersey with lake details that are much better than Garmin's, so it's certainly possible to do. Sounds like a good mapmaking project for you!  ;)

maps4gps

Quote from: JF12 on March 21, 2009, 05:56:22 AM
1.  I was trying to figure out how to delete maps from my GPS. 
Connect GPSr to computer, place in USB mass storage mode, change directory to Garmin, and delete the gmapsupp.img file.  See Main Pages / Main Menus / Setup Menu / Interface Setup in your owner's manual table of contents; or USB mass storage in the index.  Note - everytime you want to add any additional areas or data, the gmapsupp.img file (from MapSource) needs to be totally remade.

2.  ... I would like to turn on/off the topo maps when I'm not using them ...
On map page - menu - setup map - information page - menu - you can then choose to hide or show the individual mapsets.

Lake details - I believe someone found some depth data for some lakes in a Midwestern state and made an overlay map with it.  The problem would be finding the source data - probably from each State GIS office if it were available.  Where does Navionics and Lakemaster get their data?

JF12

Thanks Boyd and M4G.  I will give those recos a shot. 

Regarding hiding or showing individual mapsets...I can do that it's just clunky going through the 500+ maps to get to the point to hide the top mapsets.  Especially when they are on the bottom of the list. 

I will continue to look into the lake overlays.   Not sure Where does Navionics and Lakemaster get their data?

Thanks,
JF

maps4gps

JF,

When on the information page, with a check-box for each of the 500+ maps, press menu.  On my 76csx, a new page will show a list of the mapsets (ie. built-in base map, USA maps, WI topo, etc).  Each mapset (with all the individual quads for that mapset) can be shown or hidden individually and all the individual maps within that mapset will be affected/changed as a group/mapset. 

-Oz-

Quote from: JF12 on March 21, 2009, 05:56:22 AM
4.  Lake details - Are there any downloads for Wis or Midwest lake structure similar to Navionics or Lakemaster available?  Any other basic maps with some level of lake detail? I've been searching with no luck.
If you can find the data in shapefile for or ArcGIS form i would be more than willing to make a map out of it.  For florida I found some markers and depths so I included them but its kinda difficult to find.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!