GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Making a .gmap map

Started by BobT, December 17, 2011, 07:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobT

I have seen on this forum a lot of discussions regarding the new Garmin format .gmap that doesn't use the registry.  I see that some of you have made maps in this format.  I am curious on how you do that.  I use cgpsmapper, gpsmapedit, and MSTK and don't see how you would do it with these programs.

-Oz-

After those use garmin map converter then check out this thread starting around pg 4: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2383.0.html
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

You don't actually "make" a gmap. Unfortunately, there is no software to directly make maps in this format. You must make your map the way you normally would. When finished, run Garmin's mapconverter program which was originally intended to create maps for the Mac. That will produce the gmap, which is now also compatible with Windows.

To install, you just place the .gmap folder (which you will find inside the .gmapi folder) in C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps for Windows 7 and Vista, or C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\GARMIN\Maps if you have Windows XP. However, you would need to uninstall your original maps with MSTK before doing this to avoid a conflict with FID's.

I think there's an advantage to distributing maps in the gmap format since it works on both Mac and Windows and doesn't use the registry. If you're just making maps for yourself though, it's just another step that doesn't do much for you. There is no difference whatsoever in the map once it's installed on a GPS.

BobT

Thanks!  I convert my maps to Mac and was wondering if that was the same file.