News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Montanna 600 / Etex HCX - interchangeable maps & micro sd card

Started by pfdu, December 01, 2011, 05:22:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfdu

I'm just new to the site and fairly new to GPS use and have 2 questions:
1. I have a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx with Garmin maps loaded on a microsdcard - I am upgrading to a Montanna 600 or a 62S and would like to know if I can simply use the old sd card in the new units to access the topo maps or do I have to purchase new maps

2. Can I transfer my old waypoints and saved track logs from the unit or form Trip & Waypoint Manager directly to the new units ?

Appreciate any advice I can get.

Thanks

Indrid Cold

Quote from: pfdu on December 01, 2011, 05:22:28 PM
1. I am upgrading to a Montanna 600 or a 62S and would like to know if I can simply use the old sd card in the new units to access the topo maps or do I have to purchase new maps

2. Can I transfer my old waypoints and saved track logs from the unit or form Trip & Waypoint Manager directly to the new units ?

• As long as the maps were not unlocked to the eTrex they should also work with the Montana.
  • Yes, just use BaseCamp to transfer them from one unit to the other.

pfdu

Thank-you assume it would be the same for whichever new unit I decide on, the Montanna or 62s, and I'm not sure what you mean by "unlocked to the eTrex" - I purchased the Garmin Mapsource Cdn topo maps product on a CD some yrs ago and simply loaded them to the sdcard, regrettably I have since lost the original cd in a recent house move but did formally register both the Legend unit and cd on-line with Garmin.

Boyd

Many of Garmin's maps are copy protected and become permanently locked to the first GPS unit they are installed on. Whether or not you still have the original CD's is not relevant - locked maps can be used on multiple computers but only one GPS Device.

I'm not familiar with the Canadian topo maps myself so I don't know if they're locked. But this question is probably best asked elsewhere since the forums here are for support of maps posted on this site and not Garmin products.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: pfdu on December 01, 2011, 05:44:51 PM
I purchased the Garmin Mapsource Cdn topo maps product on a CD some yrs ago and simply loaded them to the sdcard, regrettably I have since lost the original cd in a recent house move but did formally register both the Legend unit and cd on-line with Garmin.
You can check the EULA file installed with the Garmin map for licensing restrictions.