GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Uninstall does not work

Started by Mammillaria43, December 02, 2011, 11:18:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mammillaria43

I am new to all this, so it is probably easy and something I am doing wrong....

but....

I downloaded a .img map file, and used MapsetToolkit and cgsmapper to install it into my Basecamp system.

The map is shown in the list of installed maps in the window on MapsetToolkit.

I now want to uninstal it, and when I click the uninstal button, having highlighted the map I no longer want, I am asked if I want to uninstal a map, I say yes, and I get the message saying that the map cannot be removed. I have admin priveleges, so it shouldn't be an authority issue.

Can anyone suggest why this function isn't working - am I doing it right?

Seldom

Do you have BaseCamp open when you try to uninstall?  See that it is closed.

Mammillaria43

I did have Basecamp open when I first tried it, but I have tried again after closing Basecamp, and still get the message "Cannot remove a mapset".

I have tried the Uninstall in MapsetToolkit both with "Install in Basecamp" ticket and unticked, and this makes no difference.

I'm loath just to go and delete files as they are logged in the registry.

Any more ideas very welcome.

Seldom

To answer your first question if you highlighted the map you wanted to remove and then hit the uninstall button you were doing it right.

If you were doing it right, I'm pretty much at a loss.  The only suggestion would be to look in the Add/Remove programs dialog and see if the map is listed there and can be removed.

Some questions that might help others viewing this are:

Do the maps still show up in BaseCamp after the failed remove?

I assume you are using a PC.  What OS?

Where did you get the IMG file?  Do you know what compiler (cgpsmapper, mkgmap, something else) was used to generate it?

My version of MSTK (1.75) says Install in Mapsource:[]Blank Overview Maps.  (The tick box refers to the overview maps).  So it looks like you've got a later version of MSTK than I do.

You may want to contact Cypherman1.  His email is listed on his website.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Mammillaria43 on December 02, 2011, 11:18:21 AM
I am new to all this, so it is probably easy and something I am doing wrong....

but....

I downloaded a .img map file, and used MapsetToolkit and cgsmapper to install it into my Basecamp system.
Was this an .img file from this site or from somewhere else?

jbensman

This sounds to me like it could be an instance of installing with mapsettoolkit after running an installer.  So the OP needs to tell us exactly what he has done and where he got the img from.  He also needs to understand, if you delete the imgs without unisntalling it from the regestry, MapSource will not start. 

Mammillaria43

OK, let me cover just what I did.

The maps in question were downloaded from http://mapas.vela-turcott.org/topo.php from which I selected a cell as an .img file. I don;t know what compiler was used to create it.

It did not have a self installer, so no installing has been done twice.

I then simply used MapsetToolkit to instal it in Basecamp, and it does show up and work, though obviously it is just the topo map, no details. This was a test, as what I eventually want to do is to download a number of "quadrants" and join them together and then use them as overlays on another less detailed Mexico map.

The only way I know they are not removed is that they are stil in Basecamp (and obviously still show in the MapsetToolkit window as well.

I have checked my installed progams list (Add/Remove Programs) and though some other gps maps show up (used with an installer, maps from gpsfiledepot), the two maps in particular I want to remove are not listed.

I am on MapsetToolkit V1.77 Beta, and use a laptop running Vista, with plenty of ram and disk, and all up to date.

Thanks for your ideas to date, and if I don't see any other thoughts, I'll email Cypherman1.

Seldom

Might be a good idea to email the map provider.

-Oz-

Right click on mapsettoolkit and say to run as an admin.  Not sure it'll really solve it but my guess is then it will have access to the registry to remove the entries.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Mammillaria43

Thanks indeed. Running with administrator rights does the job perfectly!

Odd quirk though, isn't it - when it instals it, it doesn't ask to modify the registry, only on removal. The user I am looged on to Vista with has admin rights though, so odd that it needs to be told to use them. Maybe I should go to Win7!!

Doesn't really matter though, now I know how to do it.

Again, many thanks.

Chris