GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Electronic Boarding Pass on My Dakota 20!

Started by EagleBoy, November 30, 2011, 12:22:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleBoy

I think this is relevant to this part of the forum...  Using the Custom Maps feature of  my Dakota 20 I successfully  loaded an electronic boarding pass  and "pinned" (geolocated) it to the airport I was departing from.  Boarded the plane successfully.  Sure had the ticket agent wonder WTH?   No more paper!

Anyone else try this?

Seldom

But do you really want all those TSA guys' initials on your GPSr?  Didn't you have to leave your DK with the jetway attendant when you boarded the plane?  Was the georeferenced image good enough to scan?

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

EagleBoy

Quote from: Seldom on November 30, 2011, 02:09:17 PM
But do you really want all those TSA guys' initials on your GPSr?  Didn't you have to leave your DK with the jetway attendant when you boarded the plane?  Was the georeferenced image good enough to scan?

I presume you are being sarcastic with the  comment about TSA initials.    And no, I take all my electronics onboard with me when I travel worldwide.  Never had anyone even consider stopping me.  Why would a standalone GPS be an issue anyway???

And as I said, the image was just fine - it is a JPEG.

jbensman

Why make a custom map?  Why not just georefeence the jpg?  You can do it with freeware.  I am not sure how the Dakota works, but on my OR I will georefeence a jpg of an airport map (or campuses, parks, and river guides) and load it on the GPS.  The OR put an icon on the map at the location.  If I want to view the map, I just use picture viewer and have it set to sort by disatance.  So the map I need will be the first choice.  Using the picture viewer seems much easier than using a custom map to view a boarding pass.  But then again, the Dakota may not have a picture viewer.

EagleBoy

You don't actually make a map per se; I used Google earth to georeference the pass and load it into the "Custom Maps" folder.

Boyd

Surprisingly, the Dakota doesn't have a picture viewer.... that was my first thought too.

EagleBoy

Quote from: Boyd on December 01, 2011, 10:09:56 AM
Surprisingly, the Dakota doesn't have a picture viewer.... that was my first thought too.

EDIT

NOT Correct.  http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4527   Changed as of November 16th!  Time to update!

Seldom

Quote from: EagleBoy on December 01, 2011, 09:23:29 AM
Quote from: Seldom on November 30, 2011, 02:09:17 PM

I presume you are being sarcastic with the  comment about TSA initials.    And no, I take all my electronics onboard with me when I travel worldwide.  Never had anyone even consider stopping me.  Why would a standalone GPS be an issue anyway???

And as I said, the image was just fine - it is a JPEG.

Because every time I show my paper boarding pass the TSA guy shines a UV light on my driver's license and then puts his initials on the paper.  I assume the initials verify the ID has been checked.  How do you do that with a GPSr?

EagleBoy

This is an electronic boarding pass - no different than the one on your Blackberry or HTC Android.  Unless things have changed in your part of the world, TSA allows eBPs.

http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/paperless_boarding_pass_expansion.shtm

Boyd

I don't have a Dakota, my post was based on the specs as published on Garmin's Website... guess they need to do some updating themselves. Does that mean it also supports photo navigation now: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145&pID=30926

QuoteFeatures & Benefits:

Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads):    yes (with optional mapping for detailed roads)
Electronic compass:    yes (tilt-compensated, 3-axis)
Touchscreen:    yes
Barometric altimeter:    yes
Camera:    no
Geocaching-friendly:    yes (paperless)
Custom maps compatible:    yes
Photo navigation (navigate to geotagged photos):    no
Outdoor GPS games:    no
Hunt/fish calendar:    yes
Sun and moon information:    yes
Tide tables:    yes
Area calculation:    yes
Custom POIs (ability to add additional points of interest):    yes
Unit-to-unit transfer (shares data wirelessly with similar units):    yes
Picture viewer:    no
Garmin Connectâ„¢ compatible (online community where you analyze, categorize and share data):    yes

So why didn't you just use the picture viewer instead of a "map"?

EagleBoy

:-[  To be honest, I did this  a couple of weeks ago and the Photo Viewer was not released until the 16th!  Silly me, I forgot to see if there was a recent update before I posted.  There is as we now know!

And actually I followed Garmins instructions which involve basically pinning a JPG to a Google Earth map to create a kmz file.  So really only the boarding pass  goes onto the GPSr, not an entire map (via the .kmz coordinates I assume).

Once I find some freeware (any tips?) for  georeferencing a JPG, I'll try it that way.

As for photo navigation for geotagged photos, I dunno.  But I'm gonna find out!  :)

Seldom

Quote from: EagleBoy on December 01, 2011, 01:54:49 PM
This is an electronic boarding pass - no different than the one on your Blackberry or HTC Android.  Unless things have changed in your part of the world, TSA allows eBPs.

http://www.tsa.gov/approach/tech/paperless_boarding_pass_expansion.shtm

By the look of the link, it's restricted to some airlines at each airport.  Apparently neither of my airlines wants to play.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: EagleBoy on December 01, 2011, 03:37:56 PM
As for photo navigation for geotagged photos, I dunno.  But I'm gonna find out!  :)
BaseCamp does it.

EagleBoy

Bwa ha ha... the latest update to the Dakota supports not only Images (adds an Image Viewer button to the screen) but navigation to the geotagged photo!

And of course the image viewer is now my electronic boarding pass.  :)