GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

ArcGIS coordinate system/projection setup for GPSMapEdit

Started by PHeller, November 17, 2011, 11:36:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHeller

I'm trying to figure out how to project or set the coordinate system in ArcGIS so that it can stay consistant in GPSMapEdit.

I don't have any reference points in GPSMapedit to tell if my shapefiles are being imported correctly.

I wish GPSMapEdit would just convert all information, properly displayed, into whatever coordinate system Garmin requires.

Seldom

Quote from: PHeller on November 17, 2011, 11:36:49 AM
I wish GPSMapEdit would just convert all information, properly displayed, into whatever coordinate system Garmin requires.

You want to use WGS84 datum Geographic (Lat/Lon) Projection.  Units are degrees.  Seems like you want David to do all the heavy lifting instead of Goliath.

jbensman

GPSmapedit does convert into Garmin's cord system.

The issue is when you import the shapefiles into gpsmapedit, you need to know the projection (and datum) and you have to select the proper projection (and datum) in one of the dialougue boxes.  GPSmapedit will import all the standard projections except it will NOT handle any of the state plane projections.  So unless you have it in a state plain projection, I would just keep the projection the way you already have it.  gpsmapedit will also handle degrees or UTM.

PHeller

I can't find a lat/long projection in ArcGIS.

Tons of WGS84, but not specific Lat/Long.

Im accustomed to ArcGIS just saying "oh, this is the coordinate system you want? ok, I'll convert your other files to match that".

GPSMapEdit just says "durp, wut u wunt?"

All of the guides for map editing just fly right through this step because they assume your pulling data from public data sources. I've got public data, but I'm already using it in WGS84 PA State Plane North.

Another issues i'm having is that I can't fill polygons with color. I just get outlines.

jbensman

I don't know how to use ArchGIS, but most of the projections for shapefiles I've used were in NAD83.  There should be a text file with the shapefiles with a prj extenstion.  If you view it with a text editor, it will tell you the projection and if it is in UTM the zone.  Unless its a stateplane projection, the third screen of the imprort process will let you select the projection.  If it is a stateplane projection you have to convert it before you can get it into gpsmapedit.

If you just get outlines, its likely was imported as a polyline not a polygon.  You can right click on a polyline and convert to a polygon.

PHeller

Quote from: jbensman on November 17, 2011, 01:10:49 PM
If you just get outlines, its likely was imported as a polyline not a polygon.  You can right click on a polyline and convert to a polygon.

Nope, everything I see says polygon...but then I get a white background with outlines.

jbensman

In gpsmapedit, you don't fill polygons with color.  You have to assign a type to it like water.  If its a water polygon, it will show blue. 

Unless, you create a typ file, how a polygon displays is controled by the GPS and MapSource/BaseCamp.

I do not understand how you could have a blank polygon in gpsmapedit.  I did not think this was possible.  Right click on the polygon, modify, type, it will then show what type you have for the polygon, what does it show?

jbensman

I am betting you have it as a polyline.  Right click on it, properties, source, 

Is the first line [Polygon] or [polyline]?

What does type=

Boyd

If you can't figure out how to set projection to Geographic using the ArcGIS manual, I'm pretty sure there's an ESRI forum where somebody can help. I doubt that many (if any) of the mapmakers here are ArcGIS users.

Seldom

Quote from: PHeller on November 17, 2011, 01:03:10 PM
I can't find a lat/long projection in ArcGIS.

Tons of WGS84, but not specific Lat/Long.
WGS84 is a datum (spheroid description).  Geographic or Lat/Long is a projection (map projected onto a surface).  I'm not familiar with ArcGIS, but I'd expect  them to be in two separate input fields.  I'm pretty sure that horizontal units for a Geographic Projection are degrees or other angular measures.

All of the guides for map editing just fly right through this step because they assume your pulling data from public data sources. I've got public data, but I'm already using it in WGS84 PA State Plane North.
PA State Plane North is a zone  of a state plane projection. Global Mapper lists the projection as "State Plane" and the zone as "PA North"  These are two separate fields with the datum being a third field.  (Maybe you can find something similar in ArcGIS.)
Horizontal units for state planes are linear units like feet or meters, for PA I think meters.

Trying to import something with horizontal units as degrees into something with horizontal units as feet or meters will give you erroneous results that can look really weird.  When I did it by accident, I fit the city of Philadelphia, PA on the head of a pin.

Another issues i'm having is that I can't fill polygons with color. I just get outlines.

What kind of shapes are you trying to import?

jbensman

Seldom, PHeller is using gpsmapedit, it will NOT import anything with a state plane projection.  So the file with the PA state plane has to be converted before it can be imported into gpsmapedit.  I convert the projection with mapwindowgis when I get data in a state plane.

Boyd

Surely for the $$$$ that ArcGIS costs, it's just a matter of a few mouse clicks to change projection and datum to anything you want.  ;)

Seldom

Quote from: jbensman on November 17, 2011, 04:43:24 PM
Seldom, PHeller is using gpsmapedit, it will NOT import anything with a state plane projection.  So the file with the PA state plane has to be converted before it can be imported into gpsmapedit.  I convert the projection with mapwindowgis when I get data in a state plane.
I realize that the OP needs to find a way to convert his state plane coordinates to Geographic, or something else GPSmapedit will import.  I figured ArcGIS probably has the same data input fields as Global Mapper, since they are pretty fundamental.  Of course the OP could also use the converter you mention.

PHeller

I think one of the problem I'm running into is in the inability to access to ArcToolbox. This would allow me to change projections at a file level, rather than at a display level.

What I'm annoied with is that I could get this data from an online server like PASDA (Public Access Geospatial Database) and it would be fine...but I've got information I want to use that isn't public.