GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin eTrex Vista HCX vs Garmin GPSMap 76csx

Started by cumberlandview, November 11, 2011, 08:14:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cumberlandview

Trying to get a recommendation between the Garmin eTrex Vista HCX GPS and the Garmin GPSMap 76csx.  I do alot of hiking, hunting and riding ATVs on private property on the Cumberland Plateau in East Tennessee.  Due to the terrain, topo maps are very important and I also want to be able to  downloading information to a Mac or PC.

eaparks

Between just the 2 you mentioned I'd suggest the 76CSx due to the larger screen and it's buttons will be easier to use on the ATV.  If you are wanting to stay with the older units due to cost; instead of the 76CSx I would go with the 60CSx due to the more accurate quad-helix antennae, just doesn't float and the 76CSx does.

The Oregon 450 is a great unit for hiking or using on an ATV and it is being reported that Cabelas will have it on sale, online and in the store on Black Friday for $250.  It has a lot, a whole lot, more features that are useful, especially for using free custom maps of which you will definitely be wanting with time.  You may be interested in my North Cumberland OHV Trails Map on here for ATV Trails.  http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/446/

The touch screens are somewhat of a personal preference you either love em or hate em.  Personally, I wouldn't go back to buttons, but that's just me.  Data entry is a breeze compared to buttons.

Indrid Cold

Btw: the gpsmap 76CSx does have a quad helix antennae.