GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

problem switching maps

Started by keithb, October 29, 2011, 05:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keithb

I have loaded a map of southern Australia into the Garmin Nuvi 760 via Mapsource.
It shows up in "tools-settings-map-map info"
If I unselect CN North America and select CN Aus and go back to the "view map" page, the North American map is still visible.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Seldom

Where are you?  Could be that you are looking at the basemap.  If in US you will have to pan to get to Australia.  If in Australia your GPSr should show whatever corresponds to your location.  (Should be pretty limited if you have CityNav North America enabled.)

jbensman

If maps overlapped in coverage, you need to disable one, but if they are different areas, why not have both active? 

Seldom

Quote from: jbensman on October 29, 2011, 09:15:09 AM
If maps overlapped in coverage, you need to disable one, but if they are different areas, why not have both active?

My point exactly.  CNNANT extends  to 180 W and south to 10 N so Australia doesn't show on it.  But if the OP's disabled CNNANT (and is in the US) don't most Garmin's have a basemap?  The GPSr would show his current position on the basemap.

keithb

I didn't think of my position DOH!Canada
I will create an Aussi route and import it into the Nuvi and see if it will play it back.

Seldom

Quote from: keithb on October 29, 2011, 10:02:04 AM
I didn't think of my position DOH!Canada
I will create an Aussi route and import it into the Nuvi and see if it will play it back.
The smack your forehead version of the Canadian National Anthem?

keithb

keithb

OK, I created a short route in Australia, imported it and ran it without GPS in "simulate driving route"
It shows the map of Auz, but, it takes a loooong time to calculate the route and it finally shows"not enough memory"
Will removing the Aussi  map from the device  then adding it on an  SD card open up the memory?

Boyd

The "memory" error you're getting is related the the unit's internal high speed RAM memory that's used for calculation. This is something completely different from the flash memory used to store maps and other data. Flash memory is actually "mass storage", like a hard drive. There is nothing you can do to "open up" this kind of memory.

It sounds like the unit might be starting your route in North America instead of Australia. When you go into simulation mode, the first thing you should do is zoom way out and drag the map to Australia, then zoom in on a spot and tap the "Set Location" button. This will make the Nuvi behave like you're really in Australia. Did you do that?

Seldom

I also remember getting an out of memory error on my OR when I tried a 2000+ mile route using CNNANT but had the vehicle set to "Pedestrian".  But I was routing from my back yard to Calgary, AB, CA.

keithb

I think you are correct in figuring the device is trying to map from Toronto to Auz.
All seems to be working properly and the only way to truly test it is to be in Australia.
Thanks for the help all!