GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

communicating with the GPS in mass storage mode

Started by Dana, March 16, 2009, 08:59:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

Does anybody know of a way to put a Garmin handgeld GPS into mass storage mode remotely?  I'm working on a program to manage POI's for aeronautical data and I want to be able to send it to the unit without having to manually put it into mass storage mode via the GPS menus.  Mapsource and POILoader can cause the unit to automatically receive data without any intervention at the GPS end, of course, but I need a simple command line utility or even maybe just a dll I can call to let me see it as a drive.

Dana

Thanks, some good information there.  Doesn't mention POI's at all, though.  I don't know that Mapsource or POI loader put the GPS into mass storage mode; the device just says "transferring data" or something like that, but it does seem to send a single file (poi.gpi) to the card rather than sending individual waypoints to the internal memory... which is what I want to do, except that I want to use a different filename (which the device will accept) rather than overwriting any poi file that already exists on the device.

dhisum_dhisum

For my Nuvi, I used to just rename the existing POI file as something else e.g. poi.gpi -> FirstSet.gpi. Nuvi would then all you to have multiple categories. The name of the categories would be FirstSet or whatever file name I picked.

Dana

Quote from: dhisum_dhisum on March 18, 2009, 01:37:57 PM
For my Nuvi, I used to just rename the existing POI file as something else e.g. poi.gpi -> FirstSet.gpi. Nuvi would then all you to have multiple categories. The name of the categories would be FirstSet or whatever file name I picked.
Right, I do the same myself... but I'm trying to make it idiot proof for people to whom file renaming and folders is a big mystery.