News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map Routing Question

Started by Oldmanwheeler, April 21, 2008, 06:28:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldmanwheeler

Hello,

I've have offered to help the Lincoln Highway Association develop downloadable GPS maps.  They already have a read only map on a CD using DeLorme's Street Atlas USA. The mapping committee spent five years creating this CD Map using color codes and different line styles to indicate various statuses.  For example, a blue line is the 1913 route and the red the 1928 route. The travel the same basic route but many sections of the 1928 route were relocated new paved roads were built.  A dash line showed the route as it ran through what is now private property and a dotted line over water showed bridges that are no longer in place.  So using this CD I need to re-trace these route and they must be extremely accurate.

Oh by the way, for those who may not be familiar with the Lincoln Highway, it was the first coast to coast road across the United States.  The Lincoln Highway is the second longest man made structure in the world second only to the Great Wall of China.  In 1913 the route was primarily made up of dirt roads with some of them being blessed with gravel. In 1928 sections of the route was re-aliened to newly built, paved roads.  85% of the 1928 route is still drivable today.  I've been amazed of the history along this byway and how the smaller communities are restoring many of the original gas stations, restaurants and motels as they look to this historical road as a means to build tourism.  The Lincoln Highway Association's primary purpose
is to promote this historical byway as it winds its way from New York to San Francisco.

The Lincoln Highway Association volunteers spent the last 5 years creating a CD based map using various colors to indicate changes in the routes.  For example, the blue route would be the 1913 route and the red the 1928 route of the Lincoln Highway; however a dash line shows the route that is no longer there (ie private property, field, etc...), a dotted line over water indicates a bridge that is no longer there, etc... The CD is a very detailed read only map showing the 1913 Lincoln Highway and the revised 1928 route.

I need to take this read only map and create a map that can be converted and downloaded into a variety of GPS'.  I have tested DeLorme's routing features in their Street Atlas USA, Garmin's MapSource, Garmin's Bobcat and RouteBuddy and in each case the auto routing feature continuously relocated my routes.  When I turn off auto routing then all I get is a straight line that does not follow the road, same thing if I switch to a topo map. When I try Shaping, the auto route feature continues to play havoc with everything and I just end up with a maze.

Is there another program available, that does not cost a fortune, that will let me make create these GPS maps?  the ideal scenario would be a program that allowed me to set waypoints at each intersection and adjust, or for a lack of a better term, auto-route the line between point A and point B so that it follows the road.

When I finally finish re-creating every variation of the Lincoln Highway I will have mapped a total of 5,869 miles. So any suggestions or recommendations anyone might have is greatly appreciated.  Thank you in advance for your help.
Oldmanwheeler

-Oz-

I find mapcenter hard to work with because I can't send it 100mb+ files :-D
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Chuck Coker

Has there been any progress with the Lincoln Highway maps?

I'm trying to figure out how to do the same thing with U.S. Highways 66, 99, and a few others.

I would love to know how others have accomplished this feat.

Thanks,
Chuck Coker