News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Defining custom polyline in GPSMapEdit

Started by Schnee, October 22, 2011, 08:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnee

Hi,

Has anyone been succesful in defining custom types for polylines in GPSMapEdit ?
For instance, I have the following declaration:

[_line]
Type=0x2c
UseOrientation=Y
String1=0x04,Unpaved
String2=0x01,Chemin VTT
XPM="8 8 4 1"
" c none"
", c #ffffff"
". c #000000"
"X c #ff0000"
" "
" "
"........"
"XXXX,,,,"
"XXXX,,,,"
"........"
" "
" "
[end]

Problems:
1º it seems that no definition is accepted if the image is not in a sqare (same nb of pixels for X and Y)
2º Here, the transparent color is not transparent but white
3º no rotation of the image is performed (see image)

Mod note: please use the code tags when posting code, K?

Seldom

You should read the section on TYP files in the cgpsmapper manual.  TYP files are the accepted way of customizing polylines, polygons, and points.  What you have is pretty similar, but I notice that you don't have a symbol associated with your "none" color.  "none" needs a character, just like all the other colors.

Schnee

QuoteYou should read the section on TYP files in the cgpsmapper manual.  TYP files are the accepted way of customizing polylines, polygons, and points.

I've read, and done exactly like it says. I even picked up the example, but GPSMapEdit won't display the example as it should.
Another thing I noticed:
One can define new types to be used in GPSMapEdit, they will work, but once evrything transfered in Garmin, the elements having those types wont show.
Only modified existing types can be see in Garmin.

Indrid Cold

QuoteI've read, and done exactly like it says. I even picked up the example, but GPSMapEdit won't display the example as it should.
Have you registered your copy of GPSMapEdit or are you running it as a demo?

Seldom

So are you doing TYP files, or something in GPSmapedit? 
To get GPSmapedit to resemble (not very well) the TYP file you have created you need to have GPSmapedit associate with a "skin". 
To read what I found see:
http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2130.msg13213/topicseen.html#msg13213

Meanwhile, if you haven't registered your copy of GPSmapedit, be sure to do so.  The ability to link to GE imagery is worth the price all by itself.

Schnee

QuoteTo get GPSmapedit to resemble (not very well) the TYP file you have created you need to have GPSmapedit associate with a "skin". 

This is exactly what I do, I know what to do, if I'm asking questions here, it is because it doesn't work.
I've generated a txt file which contains what I have quoted in my first message, associated the file to a skin in GPSMapEdit. Unfortunately, the program does not make the type available for edition.

Seldom

Quote from: Schnee on October 22, 2011, 07:04:18 PM
This is exactly what I do, I know what to do, if I'm asking questions here, it is because it doesn't work.

If it's not working, it suggests there may be some limitations regarding what you know how to do.

Have you added a character to the "none" color?  Your commas should be white (ffffff). Your periods should be black (000000). Your Xs should be red.  Frankly, I've never tried to create a polyline, just polygons, but when I check the manual I don't see any reference to "UserOrientation=Y".  Where did you get that?

As I said above, GPSmapedit skins don't do a very good job at representing the appearance of your map.  You need to compile and install the mapset with the TYP file to see how it will really look.

Also, IIRC, when I tried transparent polygons in a GPSMapedit skin they didn't render correctly.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Schnee on October 22, 2011, 07:04:18 PM
QuoteTo get GPSmapedit to resemble (not very well) the TYP file you have created you need to have GPSmapedit associate with a "skin". 

I've generated a txt file which contains what I have quoted in my first message, associated the file to a skin in GPSMapEdit. Unfortunately, the program does not make the type available for edition.
You should contact the publisher of GPSMapEdit if it's not working correctly, I thought I was the one that "quoted" the code in the original post.

jbensman

Why are you defining in gpsmapedit?

Try

http://ati.land.cz/gps/typdecomp/editor.cgi

Then use mapsettoolkit to combine it with your IMGs

Schnee

>>Why are you defining in gpsmapedit?

I don't define them in GPSMapEdit, I define them in a text file. I use them in GPSMapEdit which I use to design my map.
I found the problem: there was errors in my type definition, the problem with GPSMapEdit is that if there is anything wrong with the type declaration, it just ignores it, no erreor message no nothing.
Also, when I copied an example from the pdf manual, I didn't notice that a space was represented by a tab character, another detail that GPSMapEdit did not like.

Boyd

I have used a variety of methods to create custom types, and I prefer the site that jbensman mentioned above. It works with the binary type files so no compilation is needed. But more importantly, it has some capabilities that are not available in the text-based cgpsmapper files (such as the ability to define text size and color). ASCII art was fun back when I used a VT-100, a graphical editor is really a lot easier to use today.  ;)