GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Which POI types are supported by Garmin?

Started by Schnee, October 17, 2011, 07:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Schnee

Hi,

I have this kind of POI in my map:

[POI]
Type=0x1604
Label=3
EndLevel=3
Data0=(46.90578,-75.10477)
[END]

It is supposed to be a red triangle, but it does not appear on the map, at any zoom level.

However, I have other POIs like elevation point:
[POI]
Type=0x6300
Label=4
EndLevel=3
Data0=(46.90510,-75.10975)
[END]

and these work normally.
If I change my 0x1604 POI for type 0x6300, it also appears at the right place at a certain zoom level.

So I conclude that type 0x1604 is not supported by my Nuvi 1370.
My question: is there a list of POI type supported by Garmin somewhere ?

Thanks

maps4gps

Download a copy of the cgpsmapper manual.
1604 is a marine type code for a daybeacon, red triangle.
The mapset might have to have 'Marine=Y' for this to be recognized - if it is a land mapset, the code may not be recognized.
As the manual states: we learn this by trial and error and some of it may not be as we expect.
I have also noted that different GPSr's may display the same code differently.
The 'best' way to see how codes display is to make yourself a 'small' test mapset in your local area using the different polygon, line, and point codes.

Boyd

The Nuvi series is pretty inconsistent in the way it handles many of the standard map objects. You may be better off creating your own icon using the custom types feature. This is documented in the cgpsmapper manual as well.

Schnee

>> You may be better off creating your own icon using the custom types feature.

Ah ok, then you confirm that custom icons are supported by Garmin?
I was affraid it won't work.

Boyd

I use custom polygon and line types extensively (every object in my maps is specifically defined in a .typ file. I haven't worked all the much with custom POI icons though, but have a couple that work on the Nuvi.

Generally speaking, you need to tweak a custom type file for whatever GPS you will use the most; rendering can be very different, and of course Mapsource renders the map differently as well. The newest Nuvi's don't show many POI points at all.

Maps4gps has a good suggestion - make a test map with a bunch of POI's around your house (this way it will show the POI's immediately when the unit starts). You will then see which are displayed at different zoom levels and which aren't. You may need to choose a different POI and create your own red triangle as a custom type.