GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

US Freshwater lake countour/depth maps

Started by sesker, October 18, 2011, 11:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sesker

I was looking through the custom maps here, and the tutorials on water hydrography data, and I am wondering if there is anyway to create maps like those from Lakemaster or Navioncs?  I want to create some maps for my use when fishing...

Thanks for any input.

maps4gps

I do not know what either looks like; however, the usual reason for something not being available is the public availability of the necessary source data and someone having an interest in and some knowledge of that data type.  Some source data that an individual could download and use for their own use has redistribution restrictions.
    Someone might be able to provide more detailed info if you mention the geographic location of you interests.  The MN GIS office has lake depth data available for over 1,000 lakes.  So may other States.

Boyd

What GPS do you have? The newer models (named after states mostly) support raster imagery. So if you can find paper charts, you could scan them and turn them into maps. The coverage area of such a map is limited however. The Montana series accomodates larger areas than the other units.

Seldom

Just so sesker understands.  This site supports Garmin GPSrs exclusively.

sesker

I don't think I made this clear enough -- sorry.  Yes, I understand this is a Garmin centric site, I was interested in purchasing a Garmin unit that I can use while on the water.

What I was referring to is the bathymetry (contour maps that are available to fish finders, but I don't want a finish finder) maps for lakes.  The two companies I referred to have lake map sets available.

From what I have been reading throughout these forums, perhaps scanning in maps  and then creating raster maps from those is what I am looking for.. I am trying to absorb everything I am finding in these forums and the tutorials (which, btw are extremely helpful).

eaparks

Garmin's US Inland Lakes maps do show some depth contours for some lakes.  I don't think it will have the detail that you are looking for, though.  You can view US Inland Lakes maps on Garmin's website to get an idea of the maps.  Your best bet will probably be to scan the areas of the Lakes you want and create Raster maps, as previously mentioned.  After the 1st time, it is a rather simple procedure.

maps4gps

Note that not all Garmin GPSrs are capable of using image files - you will need one of the more recent (and more expensive) units. 

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on October 19, 2011, 08:58:54 AM
Note that not all Garmin GPSrs are capable of using image files - you will need one of the more recent (and more expensive) units.

The following support raster imagery.

Touchscreen models: Oregons, Dakotas,  Montanas
Button models: Etrex-?0 series, 62s, 78s. 

Considering sesker's interests, 78s is probably the best solution.  It's supposed to float.

Boyd

But if raster imagery will be the main use, the Montana supports 500 map tiles and the 78s only supports 100 tiles. Much larger and higher resolution screen (130k pixels vs 38k pixels), works in both landscape and portrait orientation. Same waterproof rating, but it doesn't float.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=75226&compareProduct=63602

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on October 19, 2011, 01:01:37 PM
But if raster imagery will be the main use, the Montana supports 500 map tiles and the 78s only supports 100 tiles. Much larger and higher resolution screen (130k pixels vs 38k pixels), works in both landscape and portrait orientation. Same waterproof rating, but it doesn't float.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=145&compareProduct=75226&compareProduct=63602

All good things, but it weighs 10 oz (ok if it's fixed on a boat) and you have to like touch screens (which may be hard to use in a rocking boat).  How do you like the Montana as a hiking handheld, Boyd?

Boyd

I am delighted all around with the Montana. Have driven several thousand miles with it and hiked over 50 miles so far. I don't mind the large size for hiking. The screen is just beautiful on this unit, and the appearance of the map is probably the most important factor for me.

Of course, it's all a matter of personal choice so it's best to go somewhere like REI and do some side by side comparisons if possible.