GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Uploading Raster Topo of Sierra

Started by Stoaty, March 13, 2009, 07:02:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stoaty

OK, my promised raster topo of the Sierra is being uploaded as we speak.

Oz, would you create installers please?  There are a couple of additional files in the zip file:

1) A Microsoft Word document listing all of the quads included in the set
2) A jpeg showing graphically all of the quads included in the set

Hoping you can make these files available for download from the page so anyone downloading can see exactly what is covered.

Here is the description I will post once uploaded:

"1:24000 raster topo map of the Sierra Nevada primarily of interest to hikers and backpackers.  Created by John Hollenberg with Moagu and data downloaded from scanned topos from the USGS seamless server.  The raster topo exactly matches paper topo maps and printed maps created with National Geographic Topo, making it very easy to find your exact position on the paper topo by visually matching the shapes of the contour lines at your location. 

The area covered extends from the Golden Trout Wilderness in the South to Yosemite and the Emigrant Wilderness in the North.  The map is comprised of 120  7.5 minute quads and covers over 6,000 square miles.  There is a text file below listing all of the quads included in the map, and an overview map showing all of the quads in their proper position.

Note:  Since the entire map is approximately 3 GB, only about 2/3 of it will fit on one micro SD card.  If you want to carry the whole map with you, the only way to do this is to put it on two micro SD cards (with some overlap so you will never be at the edge).

This map will take time to load both in MapSource and your Garmin GPS units.  The map is slower than normal vector maps and only visible when zoomed in to 0.5mi + on highest detail.  The map is optimally viewed at 500ft zoom."

Enjoy!  I will be using the topo map during several summer backpacking trips.

--John

-Oz-

I'll make installers when I get back to the internet.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

Quote from: -Oz- on March 13, 2009, 10:24:54 PM
I'll make installers when I get back to the internet.

Thanks!  Upload is complete, zip file available for download.

--John

-Oz-

Downloaded the zip; once I clear up some HDD space from the maps I'm uploaded setup files and mac version for maps4gps I'll get this once going.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

Stoaty,

Finally had enough HDD space to work on an installer.  Which one of these should I be using Sierra Topo or Sierra South; they both have the same FID so they can't both be installed at the same time...
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

Quote from: -Oz- on April 03, 2009, 07:30:36 AM
Stoaty,

Finally had enough HDD space to work on an installer.  Which one of these should I be using Sierra Topo or Sierra South; they both have the same FID so they can't both be installed at the same time...

Just got back from a week in Arizona.

Sierra Topo is fine.  I must have used Sierra South at one point, but changed back to Sierra Topo.  Also it would be nice if you can make available for viewing the jpeg and the text listing of included quads, so people don't have to download to see exactly which quads are covered.

-Oz-

uploaded setup file; converting to mac and uploading that tonight.  Added images and the text data to the page.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Stoaty

Quote from: -Oz- on April 11, 2009, 11:25:21 PM
uploaded setup file; converting to mac and uploading that tonight.  Added images and the text data to the page.

Perfect!  Thanks.