GPSFileDepot.com

Mountain bike trails not on "My Trails" or topos, where can I find those?

Started by kcollins812, October 15, 2011, 06:20:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kcollins812

I'm looking to geocache on mountain bike trails located in England Idlewild Mountain Biking Park, near Burlington, Kentucky, and Mitchell Forest, near Miamitown, Ohio.  I can't find any maps with trails on them in these parks, any advice on where to find them?  I use Mapsource and have Oregon 450 handheld.  Thanks!  Great site by the way, 2 thumbs up.

Boyd

Do any of the parks publish online or paper brochures with trail maps? If so, you can either download or scan the maps and create a Garmin "custom map" this way: http://www8.garmin.com/outdoor/custommaps_instruct.pdf

This Google Earth technique works well for relatively small maps. For larger maps, there are some programs which make it easier.

kcollins812

Thanks, I'll give it a try, that should work for my purposes.  I'll post back if I have any other questions but that looks pretty easy.

jbensman

laisabeck

Has anyone of you experienced Alum Creek Phase 1 Mountain Bike Trail, Ohio?
My kid is going to experience riding first time on any MTB Trail. We just recently bought a mountain bike on his 14th birthday.

EL34

I have found quite a few trails are on OSMand that are not on other maps
https://osmand.net

Also, you can add new trails to OSM using the JOSM editor

maxfinch2023

Quote from: kcollins812 on October 15, 2011, 06:20:19 AMI'm looking to geocache on mountain bike trails located in England Idlewild Mountain Biking Park, near Burlington, Kentucky, and Mitchell Forest, near Miamitown, Ohio.  I can't find any maps with trails on them in these parks, any advice on where to find them?  I use Mapsource and have Oregon 450 handheld.  Thanks!  Great site by the way, 2 thumbs up.
You may want to check out websites like MTB Project or Trailforks, which offer user-generated maps of mountain biking trails in various locations, including England Idlewild Mountain Biking Park and Mitchell Forest. You could also reach out to local mountain biking clubs or shops for advice on where to find trail maps.