GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Re: Minnesota Lake Depths map

Started by pumphouse, September 19, 2011, 06:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pumphouse

I ran into another "difficulty" - the Minnesota Lake Depths map doesn't show up in Basecamp nor in Mapsource on my Windows 7 64 bit box.    The "My Trails" trick didn't work this time even though I tried re-installing it.

The Lake Depths map doesn't have an installer.  Instead a registry batch file is supplied (.reg extension) and the instructions describe how to edit the contents to match where you drop the .img files, etc.

Here's what my version ends up as.  Perhaps it should be different on a 64 bit OS?:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\MN Lake Depths]
"ID"=hex:33,17
"TYP"="C:\\garmin\\MN Lake Depth Maps\\TYPEFILE.TYP"
"IDX"="C:\\garmin\\MN Lake Depth Maps\\MN Lake Depths.mdx"

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\MN Lake Depths\1]
"LOC"="C:\\garmin\\MN Lake Depth Maps\\"
"BMAP"="C:\\garmin\\MN Lake Depth Maps\\MN Lake Depths.img"
"TDB"="C:\\garmin\\MN Lake Depth Maps\\MN Lake Depths.tdb"

Seldom

You should take that up with the map author.  That map isn't hosted by this site.

-Oz-

But I can tell you that the registry file is different on a 64 bit operating system.

Try replacing:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Garmin\MapSource\Families\
With:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Garmin\MapSource\Families\
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

pumphouse

pumphouse

It really didn't work.

It did show up in Basecamp, but I get an error with an offer to report it to Garmin when I try to download it to my Garmin Oregon 450 Smart Card.

Seldom

As I said above, you should really check with the map author, but if that's not possible and you're feeling adventurous, you may want to try this:

Check your install directory and see if you have a TDB file and a overviewmap.IMG file.  The overviewmap.IMG file will probably have an alphabetic name like MNLakeDepths.IMG The other IMG files in the folder will have 8 digit names (12345678.IMG). Also check that you have the TYP file you mentioned in your earlier post.

Familiarize yourself with "map has a TDB file" part of the tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

Use mapsettoolkit to "uninstall" your current installation of Minnesota Lake Depths.

If you have all the files I've listed above start mapsettoolkit, click the "install" button on the bottom right of the screen, and browse to fill the TDB file, maps directory, overview map, and TYP file.  You'll also need to make up a registry name like  MNLakeDepths.

If you have all the files you need the install process should work no matter what compiler was used.

pumphouse

Thank you.  I have initiated contact with the author and will wait a bit to see if I get a response.  I do appreciate your advice.

pumphouse

No response from the author. But I was feeling adventurous so I followed your advice.  It worked perfectly, thank you!

I installed mapsettoolkit and first "uninstalled" MN Lake Depths.   I then installed it and simply followed the prompts as described in the link you provided.   The map is visible in Basecamp (Win 7 64 bit) and loads fine on my Oregon 450.

It turns out the author's registry modification instructions are bad - he has you write an entry for file "typefile.typ" but that file is not provided.  mapsettoolkit doesn't seem to need the file so all is good.

maps4gps

MSTK allows a .typ file to be included with a mapset, if there is one; if not the GPSr will use Garmin's default types.