GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Question Regarding Detail

Started by gatoruss, October 09, 2011, 09:15:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatoruss

I downloaded the Florida Topo map and installed it on my Oregon 450 using BaseCamp/MapInstall.  If I open the map in BaseCamp, it shows trails in a nearby state park (Wekiva State Park - N28 42.583 W81 27.768).  However, when I navigate to the location of the park on my GPSr, the trails are not shown.  For example, in BaseCamp, a trail passes near the the following co-ordinates:  N28 43.718 W81 28.644.  But on the GPSr, no trail is displayed at those coordinates?

Should this be the case, or do I have some setting set wrong?

Seldom

I've got an OR300, but, assuming they are similar, try Setup|Map|Advanced Map Setup, set  Detail to Most and check the other buttons in Advanced Map Setup.

gatoruss

In Setup|Map|Advanced Map Setup, I have the following settings:

• Zoom Levels->All set to "Auto"
  • Test Size->All set to "Auto"
  • Detail ->Most
  • Shaded Relief->Do Not Show

But trails do not show.  I assume the trails are showing on your OR300?

Seldom

I don't have FL topo installed on my OR, but the trails show on my maps.  Of course, the zoom levels they show up on will be set by the map author.  I suggest you pan to a known trail location and try tighter levels of zoom.

gatoruss

The coordinates referenced in my original post (N28 43.718 W81 28.644), lie on or at least in close proximity of a trail, but no matter how much I zoom the trail does not show on the display.

Not sure what I am doing wrong?

Edit - I Inserted coordinates that I believe are located on a trail. 9N28 43.718 W81 28.6440).

Seldom

Just loaded FL topo.  Looks like the trail you want is the Florida Trail.  By any chance do you have CityNavigator on your 450?  It overlays most other non-transparent maps. I've got mine turned off in order to see your trail, but the map shows fine with CN turned off.

gatoruss

Okay, I figured out what was wrong.

I had recently transferred my maps and BaseCamp to a new laptop (see http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2394.msg13826.html#msg13826).  I had to reinstall my maps.  I then reloaded the re-installed maps to my OR450 using BaseeCamp.  I distinctly remember loading both the Florida Topo and the SEUSA.  Nevertheless, it appears that the new version of the Florida Topo did not load onto my OR450, but an older version was loaded (or remained).  Per the change log for the Florida Topo, the older version did not have trails.  So, I reloaded the Florida Topo and the trails are showing as expected.

Seldom, thanks for your help and patience with this issue...I apologize for the user error... :-[

BTW - The point you mention in your last post, is another item I have been pondering.  Other than "trial and error," is there any way to determine which maps will obscure others?

Seldom

CNNANT is the only one I'm aware of, I'd be wary of any large maps that overlay areas covered by smaller maps. If neither map is "transparent" only one will show on the GPSr.

Boyd

The parameter of interest is called "draw priority".  Maps with larger numbers are drawn after maps with smaller numbers. Therefore, a map with a higher priority will cover one with a lower priority.

Draw priority ranges from 0 to 31, and City Navigator has a priority of 30. This is a useful tidbit of information... transparent maps have a priority of 31 so they will appear on top of everything else. But you can also make a non-transparent map with a draw priority of 31. I have done this with a map I'm finishing up now myself. When I enable this map along with City Navigator, my own map is displayed on the GPS, but all of the POI's and routable roads in City Navigator are still functional. So even though my own map isn't routable I can still generate routes and have turn-by-turn directions displayed on the GPS, thanks to the hidden City Navigator map.

Draw priority can be assigned by the mapmaker using GPSMapEdit or MapsetToolkit.

gatoruss

Thanks.

I note that in the case of Garmin Custom Maps, there is a concept of "Draw Order," which is on a scale of 1-100 (see, http://garminoregon.wikispaces.com/Custom+Maps#FAQ-CM7.%29%20How%20does%20Draw%20Order%20affect%20my%20Garmin%20Custom%20Maps?).  Is that different from the "Draw Priority" that you reference?

Also, what happens is both maps have a "Draw Priority" of 31?  Or otherwise have the same "Draw Priority"?

Boyd

"custom maps" are raster imagery and that is something completely different. I was talking about traditonal Garmin maps (.img files) and they are vector based.

I don't know what happens when two maps have the same priority.