Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Installer script... again

Started by Boyd, October 06, 2011, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on January 27, 2012, 04:15:43 AM
Seldom had just posted  'c:\programdata\garmin\maps' for your FL topo
I did not find where 'Boyd's Map of New Jersey 2012' got installed to.

Open a command prompt window and type

SET

See what path is shown for ALLUSERSPROFILE. On Windows 7 and Vista, it should be: C:\ProgramData. On Windows XP it should be C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data. That is how my installer determines where to install the maps.

On my Vista machine, my map is installed in C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps\Boyds Map of NJ 2012.gmap. There have been about 200 downloads since I posted that map and I haven't seen any reports of problems yet. In Mapsource go to Utilities > Manage Map Products and you can see where everything is actually installed.

What version of Windows are you running and what do you see when you type SET?

maps4gps

Windows 7
ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData

Neither Windows Explorer/Library nor the dir nor attrib commands in a command prompt window 'see' this folder. 

I was trying to transfer a small test.gmap file and view it in MapSource and BaseCamp.
Interesting that I misread Seldom's post and created a 'Program Data' folder (as in the two Program Files folders on the computer) and both MS & BC displayed the test data.

Seldom

Top folder is C:\ProgramData.  It's hidden in Win7.  The only way I got it to show is to default all folders to show hidden.  Don't know how to write to it.

maps4gps

I thought it was hidden, but was unable to find how to display hidden folders in Windows 7.
Using the attrib command in a command prompt window would list hidden files and could change the attribute, i.e. to not hidden.  It did not show ProgramData, so it must not work that way for hidden folders.

I was able to access both hidden folders (ProgramData and AllUsers) by doing a cd to that folder.  I could then make the subfolders and xcopy the test.gmap folder from where it was built.  The problem was then deleting the test.gmap folder as each quad/segment subfolder  needed to be entered to delete the files.  Glad I only had four quads in the test.gmap folder.

Boyd

Quote from: maps4gps on January 27, 2012, 12:51:21 PM
I thought it was hidden, but was unable to find how to display hidden folders in Windows 7.

You should be able to do this with Control Panel > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders. There's also an option to hide protected operating system files that is enabled by default. I think the only thing this changes is that it will enable you to see files and folders that have names beginning with a dot (period). That's necessary if you want to backup a Nuvi, for example, because the maps are stored in a hidden folder named .System.

Seldom

On my Win7 machine Control Panel>Appearance and Personalization>Folder Options>View>Show Hidden Files, Folders, AND DRIVES!

Boyd

Depends on how you have things set. I have mine set for view by small icons because it's easier for me to find things that way and it takes less clicks.  :)

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on January 27, 2012, 03:03:13 PM
Depends on how you have things set. I have mine set for view by small icons because it's easier for me to find things that way and it takes less clicks.  :)
Your way is a lot nicer.  Thanks for the tip.

-Oz-

I'll have to try out small icons; I've been using details view for years.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

Is this still being worked on?

Boyd's NJ multiplatform mapset works on my PC.
Is OZ working on an installer using NSIS to do the same?

Boyd

The roadblock we hit with NSIS is that I couldn't figure out a way to keep the map data separate from the Windows installer. It needs to be located in a separate file so that it can be accessed on a Mac without running the .exe (which isn't Mac compatible).

My installer works fine, but I haven't implemented a system for removing a previous version of the same map. If you read back, you'll see that I was very close to this but got distracted by other things and haven't gotten back to it, since I don't need that feature.

But I will eventually get back to it...

-Oz-

As Boyd pointed out.  You can't do a "universal" installer (one file) with NSIS.  However, in this thread there is the script that will put the map files in the new location (the gmap files) and handle install/uninstall of the old map (even a non-gmap map as long as it has the same name).
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

maps4gps

I do not understand much about the installers.

This tread has become so long and what is being found was changing so often, code and ideas and corrections with Boyd, OZ and TobT, NSIS and INNO installer, PC & MAC, I was unable to tell if it was still in-the-works or something was ready for use.

I interpret Boyd's and OZ's last posts to mean neither NSIS nor INNO installer would rrently be good to use for mapsets - as in redoing my nearly 40 State topo maps which have the 64-bit Windows 7 installer issue.

OZ: is that the script (universal.txt) in Boyd's Dec 11 post?

Boyd

Yes, this thread is long and confusing. Here is the inno installer for my most recent map: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/276/

This script will work fine to create a universal version of any map if you customize it with the correct info for your map. The only thing it doesn't do is remove an older map. But as long as you're creating new maps and not updates, it should be fine. Here are a few notes

1. You must generate your own unique AppID using the Inno Setup compiler. Do NOT use the ID below. The purpose of this ID is to create an uninstaller for the map.

2. the .gmapi folder, installer script, license and any other support files all must be in the same directory. The support files are listed below - if you don't want any of them, just comment the appropiate lines out of the script.

3. If you would like the installer (.exe file) to have a custom icon, it must be an .ico file. I used the free GreenFish icon editor to create one myself.

4. Create a text file named license.txt containing your license.

5. You can create a custom image to be displayed during installation. It needs to be a .bmp file 164 pixels wide x 314 pixels high.

6. Change the value of OutputDir to something that makes sense on your own system.

7. After creating the Windows installer and compiling with Inno Setup Compiler, create a folder named for your map and put both Windows Installer.exe  and your .gmapi folder into it. Now compess that folder as a .zip archive and you should be all set.

#define MyAppName "Boyds Map of the Pines LE"

#define MyAppVersion "1.0"

#define MyAppPublisher "Boyd's Maps"

[Setup]
; NOTE: The value of AppId uniquely identifies this application.
; Do not use the same AppId value in installers for other applications.
; (To generate a new GUID, click Tools | Generate GUID inside the IDE.)
AppId={{91A47A34-7409-455D-967E-A632501AFF80}
AppName={#MyAppName}
AppVersion={#MyAppVersion}
AppPublisher={#MyAppPublisher}
; writes maps files to proper directories in XP, Vista and Win 7 so Mapsource and Basecamp can find them.
DefaultDirName={commonappdata}\GARMIN\Maps
DisableDirPage=yes
DefaultGroupName={#MyAppName}
DisableProgramGroupPage=yes
;optional custom icon for the installer
SetupIconFile=PinesMap.ico
; optional custom image you want displayed on your installer
WizardImageFile=PinesMapLE.bmp
; your license agreement that requires acceptance before installer will continue with installation.
LicenseFile=license.txt
; folder you want the installer written to.
OutputDir=C:\Users\ostroff\Desktop\mapping\ned19\pines map\work\inno
; installer name
OutputBaseFilename=Windows Installer
Compression=lzma
SolidCompression=yes

[Languages]
Name: "english"; MessagesFile: "compiler:Default.isl"

[Messages]
FinishedLabel=Setup has finished the installation of Boyd's Map of the Pines LE on your computer. You may now run Garmin Basecamp or Mapsource and choose "Boyds Map of the Pines LE" from the dropdown menu to view the map. To remove this map, use the uninstall option in the Programs and Features control panel (Windows 7 and Vista) or Add/Remove Programs (Windows XP)

WelcomeLabel2=This will install Boyd's Map of the Pines LE on your computer.%n%nIt is recommended that you close all other applications before continuing. NOTE: You must install Garmin BaseCamp or Mapsource in order to use this map. You may download BaseCamp from: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435

[Files]
;copy .gmapi folder from install folder to user's Maps folder
Source: "{src}\Boyds Map of the Pines LE.gmapi\*"; DestDir: "{commonappdata}\GARMIN\Maps"; Flags: external ignoreversion recursesubdirs createallsubdirs

[Icons]
Name: "{group}\{cm:UninstallProgram,{#MyAppName}}"; Filename: "{uninstallexe}"
;

-Oz-

It depends.  If you want to remake the installers for just the 64-bit issue I posted an updated script here: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tools/map_install.zip  This one uses the "old" registry method.

If you want to use the gmap method (new) here is the current script: http://forums.gpsfiledepot.com/index.php/topic,2383.msg13980.html#msg13980

With that said if you go with Boyd's method you can actually have one file for mac and pc.  Mine still needs a separate mac file.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!