GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Installer script... again

Started by Boyd, October 06, 2011, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

I just successfully uploaded the universal version of this map: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

I don't see any way to download the new file however, which is what I think Oz mentioned in an earlier post. On the upload page there was a link to remove the old separate Mac/PC versions and I clicked that but it didn't seem to do anything.

So the file is there... if you can find it.  ;D

-Oz-

Yea, the link isn't there yet.  I actually needed one map with the universal installer so I could make the look and everything look correct. It'll go live tomorrow because I'm a bit tired right now.

Does this handle uninstalling (at least of itself).  I'm gonna try it out.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

It will uninstall itself, but does not check for previous (registry based) versions. I really still don't understand this Windows stuff with program groups, etc., but it creates a group for your map such that it appears under "All programs" and can be located by the uninstaller. If you used that group for other maps, I think they would also be included.

Pay notice to thispart of the script

Quote; NOTE: The value of AppId uniquely identifies this application.
; Do not use the same AppId value in installers for other applications.
; (To generate a new GUID, click Tools | Generate GUID inside the IDE.)
AppId={{20D3F074-9197-4F00-9EAC-82231547B9EC}

I tweaked a few things in the script to customize it for myself. I'm afraid I did this in a rather inelegant way, but I just wanted to get it done. I like the Inno installer because I find it easier to understand for some reason. It seems very flexible and powerful from what I've seen so far.

Here's the inno script that was used to create my installer, FWIW

jbensman

I thnk not being able to uninstall the existing regestry based instalation is a big deal. If its not uninstalled, you would have two differnt vesions of the same map.  Cannot you just tell it to run the uninstaller?

-Oz-

Universal installer is live.  I am downloading yours right now and still making some back end tweaks.

Boyd: I already made it so your map only has the universal installer because I was testing.  The link is active though on the universal upload page for the other (limited) people who can do universal installers.
Dan Blomberg
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

-Oz-

So as much as I like this idea the whole having to extract then install is kind of annoying.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Do you mean that you dislike having to unzip the folder first? That took awhile on my Slate 500 which I used to test it on Win 7, which is a netbook class machine. The gmap format creates a lot of files and folders, probably something like 4 for each .img file in the original mapset.

jbensman, I don't think it would be a big deal to add an uninstaller. Remember, we have just thrown this together quickly. I'm afraid that the Windows registry is still like alchemy to me, so I may not be the right guy for the job. But it looks like all the tools you'd need are available with inno setup.

http://www.jrsoftware.org/ishelp/index.php?topic=registrysection

Quote[Registry] section

This optional section defines any registry keys/values you would like Setup to create, modify, or delete on the user's system.

Boyd

Oz, I don't see my map anywhere in the list. Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, or maybe you're still working on it? If I go to "Your Account/Files", the map is on the list but says "No file exists for this map".

-Oz-

Oh crap; I think I know whats wrong; fixing now...

EDIT: All fixed, let me see if you notice where it doesn't show up.
Dan Blomberg
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Cool, seems to be there now. I see it on the list of new maps, on the "all states" page and on the NJ page. Thanks!

Seldom

Nice map, shows up in my MapSource 6.16.3, but not in 6.13.7.

Couldn't find Nucky Thompson's house though...

Boyd

Thanks, this has been an ongoing labor of love for me. Maybe I need to add some Jersey Shore POI's? :)

As we determined earlier,

Quote from: rws on December 05, 2011, 02:17:34 PM
Some further testing confirms gmap format map files starting working in Windows Basecamp v2.08 and Mapsource version 6.14.1

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on December 12, 2011, 06:22:04 PM
Thanks, this has been an ongoing labor of love for me. Maybe I need to add some Jersey Shore POI's? :)

As we determined earlier,

Quote from: rws on December 05, 2011, 02:17:34 PM
Some further testing confirms gmap format map files starting working in Windows Basecamp v2.08 and Mapsource version 6.14.1

I was thinking that now you have contemporary NJ nailed you might try a New Jersey during Prohibition project.

I read the rws quote, and the note in your ReadMe.  Thought it was worth mentioning since both versions were running side by side on the same system. 

Boyd

Ah, ok I just looked up Nucky Thompson. Sorry I missed the reference, I thought it was somebody from Jersey Shore. I don't have cable or satellite and stopped watching TV (except DVD and BluRay) when I moved out to the sticks 6 years ago, so I'm kind of out of the loop.  :D

I love old maps, recently found this map of New Jersey from the Federal Writers Project in 1939 in an antique shop and have it on my wall: http://stephencreek.com/njpb/oldmap02.jpg

jbensman

I doownloaded the universal installer on my Win 7 laptop.

It open a folder called BoydMapNJ

I had to double click on it to open it.  I worry others may not know to do this.

Once I opened that folder I had the windows installer readme and gmapi folder.  The installer worked great. 

After installing it, I downloaded and ran the installer again.  It installed again without asking to uninstall the existing map.