GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Installer script... again

Started by Boyd, October 06, 2011, 02:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

I'm getting ready to release a new map but got lost somewhere in the various threads about installer issues. Do we think that the current template file in mapmaking tutorial number 8 has resolved the various Windows 7 issues? http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tools/map_install.zip

Seldom

I guess the question is, "Is there any downside to using an old installer script?"

Boyd

I always put off creating the install script as long as I can, because it takes awhile to wrap my brain around the concepts each time. I just started comparing the version in the link above to the old script I adapted before, and it's clearly much newer. My old script doesn't check for 32 bit vs 64 bit for example. But I was thinking of the many reports we've seen about Windows 7/64 where the maps don't appear in Mapsource.

The more I look at all the registry manipulation in the script, the more I want to try my hand writing a .gmap installer that uses Garmin's new format to avoid all these issues. I just don't know if I'm up to the challenge though. :)

maps4gps

If you mean the one in part 9 dated 7 Mar 2010, that is the one I download in March/May, 2011 and it has the issue.  I have not seen anything from OZ that the issue was corrected.

Boyd

I'm going to look at this soon, after I read the NSIS documentation again. Seems like making an installer for the new registry-free format should be pretty straightforward, it should only involve copying files to the user's machine.

On my own machine, install everything with MSTK as usual, then use Garmin Mapconverter like I would to make a Mac version (which is needed anyway). The next part is a little muddy to me... I think I'd have to actually install the map on my Mac, then copy the installation directory tree back to my Windows machine. The NSIS script would just copy that directory tree to C:\Users\All Users\GARMIN\Maps on the user's machine.

Can't think of any downside to this approach, but maybe I'm missing something. :)

BobT

Just curious but is NSIS better than Inno Setup.  I use Inno Setup and to my knowledge no one has had installation issues. 

Bob

maps4gps

I can not answer which is 'better'.  OZ provided a templete for NSIS about 2 1/2 years ago so the rest of us could provide self-installing versions of the mapsets we were going to share with others.

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on October 08, 2011, 08:40:50 AM
I can not answer which is 'better'.  OZ provided a templete for NSIS about 2 1/2 years ago so the rest of us could provide self-installing versions of the mapsets we were going to share with others.
I've been using variants of Oz's old Windows template, and haven't heard any complaints.   I was under the impression that Win7-64 handled the old 32 bit installers pretty well.  And MapSource and BaseCamp are both 32 bit apps aren't they?

-Oz-

Basecamp and MapSource are both 64-bit.  The latest script checks and modifies the registry entries according to 64-bit or 32-bit but recently something has been happening that stops the 64bit computers from seeing the maps in BaseCamp.  I would say that that is the only issue but I haven't been able to replicate it on my win7-64 thus far.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

Do we know why installing jbensman's "myTrails" seems to fix this issue? What installer script is being used for that map?

maps4gps

'My trails' is using an older (pre-64bit) version of OZ's installer.  I also encountered this issue on my new 64bitWIN7 machine and had to use one of my pre-64bit installer mapsets.  Once this was done, the mapsets using the 64bit installer would work.

After the 1st 64bit mapset was installed, I uninstalled the 32bit installer mapset and continued to install 64bit installer mapsets without any issues.  It appears to be a first time issue.  I would guess all mapsets need to be removed from the computer and perhaps the registry 'cleaned' to duplicate the issue.

Boyd

Hmm, so maybe I'm better off sticking with my existing install script that was based on Oz's old version?  ???

maps4gps

I do not recall anyone reporting a problem with the 32-bit installer mapsets on a 64-bit machine.  Unfortunately, I had to replace my computer (and it's replacement) shortly after making my State topo maps in May/June and may not have a copy of the older version; and woulld not have the time to recreate and reupload 38 State topo mapsets.

-Oz-

@Boyd: yes i would use the old one.

I remember people have issues with the 32bit installer which is why the 64bit was made.  I wonder what has changed but I'll have to do tests.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

I'm looking at Garmin's .gmap format, and so far I can't see any downside to distributing maps in this form (other than, maybe, people with really old computers and old versions of mapsource). Here's how to create and install a .gmap version of your own existing mapset.

First, create your mapset as usual and install with MapsetToolkit. Now create the Mac version of your map using Garmin Mapconverter - this is something you would need to do anyway.

Let's say your mapset name (the one displayed in Mapsource) is "test". Garmin Mapconverter will create a file named test.gmapi. However, you will see that is actually a folder under windows and not a "file". Open the test.gmapi folder and you will see a folder inside named "test.gmap". THIS IS ALL YOU NEED!

If you're doing this on the same machine, you'll need to use MapsetToolkit to UNINSTALL "test" before proceeding, since it has the same FID as the new gmap version. After doing this, simply copy the test.gmap folder to C:\Users\All Users\GARMIN\Maps

You have now installed the map "test" in Mapsource and Basecamp. No registry entries are involved. You can confirm by starting Mapsource. To completely remove this map, just delete the "test.gmap" folder from C:\Users\All Users\GARMIN\Maps and it will be gone.

So an installer script for "test" just needs to do a few things -

1. Check for the existence of C:\Users\All Users\GARMIN\Maps (see note below for possible issues)

2. Create this folder if it doesn't exist

3. Copy the test.gmap directory heirarchy to C:\Users\All Users\GARMIN\Maps

4. Provide an uninstaller to remove test.gmap

I believe that different versions of windows might store the maps in different places - I need to look into this. Under Vista, I can access the same folder at C:\ProgramData\GARMIN\Maps. If I use a command prompt and type "set", I see

ALLUSERSPROFILE=C:\ProgramData

I believe this can be used to determine the correct location on different Windows versions, but not sure how to incorporate that into an install script.

I'm not clear on whether there are permissions issues, etc that need to be addressed when installing as well. I'm really not a "windows guy" so  I may need some help here. :)

What do you guys think?...