GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 62s & Third Party Maps Unlocking

Started by RGR, October 04, 2011, 12:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGR

Well I've tried a number of things and I must say I'm getting a bit hacked with this unit.  I tried using the reset option as maps4gps suggested and thought there was progress.  I was able to load the Wis topo map and see it on the map display.  I then tried to load the topo along with city navigator north America - the entire process seems normal to where I get "data successfully transferred" (paraphrased?).  When I reboot the 62S I again get the "can't unlock maps" message.  SO... I go back to using the reset option and now can't get the "can't unlock" message to NOT come up, even though the unit shows no extra maps whatsoever.  Is there a different "factory reset" other than the one ("reset") in the menu?  This is becoming more trouble than it's worth...  Oh - I also installed a 4G memory card and loaded one of the maps directly to it to see if that would help anything, but the same "can't unlock maps" occurs.  I do see that the file I transferred to the extra memory is there, but can't "unlock it.  Also, I did update the firmware to 3.40.  I have tried using both mapsource and basecamp (mostly) to transfer files - only files that I have downloaded from this site.  Is it time for this one to be returned? 

Seldom

Can you load only the WI topo without CNNANT?  If so, you've got a CNNANT problem.  Did you buy it new, and is this the only GPSr you've installed CNNANT on?  If so call Garmin.  If you've installed CNNANT on another GPSr, you need to buy another license.

Indrid Cold

From what I've seen, this happens when you include maps that have not been unlock to the target GPS and unlocked to a second GPS by newbies.

mefreer

I just purchased a GPSmap 62s and am having the same results, "cant unlock".  I downlaoded the california topo to mapsource and had no problem loading it onto a Zumo 550.  I used the same instructions for both devices.

In both cases I loaded the map onto removable memory cards via a card reader.  The card in the 62s shows that the map exists.

The 62s shows only the base maps it came with.  No other maps have been loaded, the device was not a demo unit.  I updated the software before attempting to load the map.

Seldom

Are any maps in internal memory.
How many maps do you have on the 62s?
Have you tried installing other maps, only one on the unit at a time?

mefreer

The only maps were the base map and digital globe.  I did try and install a copy of city navigator once, which did not load.

Ok, I just wiped the memory card clean, and loaded the CA topo via the 62s instead of the card reader.  It worked.  Not sure if I origionally corruped the memory card or what, but my problem is solved. 

I should have tried it prior to asking for help.  Thanks for the suggestions.

Seldom

We may just want to recommend a card format as a standard procedure for bogus locked maps.

Boyd

Quote from: mefreer on October 15, 2011, 09:51:02 PM
I did try and install a copy of city navigator once, which did not load.

This sounds like it could be related to the problem, depending on where you got City Navigator. It is copy protected and can only be installed on the unit it was registered to.

mefreer

The city navagator I unsucessfully tried to load was on my map source registered to several other devices, I thought what the heck I would try and load it.  It appears that it loaded something onto the card that messed up the california topo from gpsfiledepot. 

Boyd

Yeah, then that is probably what happened. When you send City Navigator to a device, it will place three files in the Garmin folder: gmapsupp.img, gmapsupp.unl and gmapsupp.gma. Then if you send one of the free maps from here, it will replace the gmapsupp.img file, but probably won't delete the other two files. Those files are used in the copy protection scheme and would not match your new gmapsupp.img (which is the map), hence the unlock error.

Glad you got it fixed. :)

RGR

In my case I am not using any other device than the 62s.  I have a new install of basecamp and an initial download of the CNNANT.  To save time, I select the state of WI to send to the unit.  I am simply using the internal memory, although I had tried to install a 4G card to see if that would help. I didn't try to format the extra card as mefreer did, but the problem exists whether using the add-on card or the internal memory.  As mefreer stated, I can see the .img file on the unit in explorer, but does not show up when looking through basecamp.  This is the only file I have (knowingly) loaded.  Since Boyd points out that there are three files (.img, .unl, .gma), do I need to delete all of these types of entries?  In addition to these frustrations and my efforts to correct, I have (apparently) deleted the basemap info the unit came with (on the advice to eliminate .gpx files).  Is there a way to get these back?

Seldom

Downloaded copies of CNNANT are generally regarded as a bad idea. The DVD version is much more forgiving.  Where is your CNNANT stored?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: RGR on October 20, 2011, 02:43:08 PM
In my case I am not using any other device than the 62s.  I have a new install of basecamp and an initial download of the CNNANT.  To save time, I select the state of WI to send to the unit.  I am simply using the internal memory, although I had tried to install a 4G card to see if that would help. I didn't try to format the extra card as mefreer did, but the problem exists whether using the add-on card or the internal memory.  As mefreer stated, I can see the .img file on the unit in explorer, but does not show up when looking through basecamp.  This is the only file I have (knowingly) loaded.  Since Boyd points out that there are three files (.img, .unl, .gma), do I need to delete all of these types of entries?  In addition to these frustrations and my efforts to correct, I have (apparently) deleted the basemap info the unit came with (on the advice to eliminate .gpx files).  Is there a way to get these back?
You will need to contact Garmin on these issues.

Boyd

Only Garmin can replace your basemap, contact them here: http://www.garmin.com/us/support/contact/

Garmin has a support forum for City Navigator map installation issues: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=180

RGR

I gave up on this 62s - didn't know what else to try so exchanged it for a new one.  Maps now load to the new one without a problem (so far).  Thanks to all for the help and suggestions.  One more question: I installed a 4G SD card to the new unit.  When loading maps with basecamp, how does one/should one designate where the maps are loaded (resident memory vs. the add-on SD card), or does the 62s decide this for itself?