GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Garmin 62s & Third Party Maps Unlocking

Started by RGR, October 04, 2011, 12:35:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RGR

I just purchased a 62S on the record of performance and ability to use third party maps.  I am now seeing conflicting information on whether or not this is "allowed" by Garmin - the reason I ask is that I have downloaded a few maps from this site and am repeatedly getting the message "can't unlock map" after a seemingly successful load to the GPS.  I suspect I am simply doing something wrong, but wonder if something has in fact changed with the "allowance" to use third party maps.  If Garmin has disabled the ability to do this the 62S will be immediately returned as that would be a certain deal-killer.  I hope this is not the case.  Can someone clear this up?  Thanks Much.

Seldom

If you are having problems with maps you downloaded from this site, please provide links.

RGR

Please understand, I doubt there is a problem with the maps downloaded here, I am really looking for clarification on whether or not using these maps is being restricted or disallowed by Garmin, or am I doing something wrong in the load/ unlock process.  The listed maps are listed as "non-lockable", I think.

Boyd

You should not have to unlock any of the free maps here. The only thing I can think of that might cause the problem would be if the map author chose an ID number that is restricted to Garmin products. This can be any number that the mapmaker chooses, but a couple years ago Garmin changed their copy protection scheme and reserved a certain range of FID codes for their exclusive use. If another author inadvertently chose a number in that range, their maps would appear locked.

Seldom

To follow up on Boyd's point, get yourself a copy of MapSetToolKit.  On the right of the startup screen you will see a list of your installed map products.  Look there for conflicts between the FIDs of the GPSfiledepot maps and any Garmin products you have installed on your computer.

A few more questions:
1) Did you install a locked Garmin product on your 62S?
2) Did you follow this tutorial to transfer the maps to your 62s?
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-maps-on-my-garmin-gps-unit/

maps4gps

None of my mapsets are locked.
A remember some posts in the past where people with a locked Garmin mapset were having a problem with the unlocked mapsets here.  I do not remember what the solution was.

-Oz-

Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

Boyd

I read back through some old posts on the Yahoo Map Authors group and evidently the issue with conflicting reserved FID's only affects third party maps the ARE locked, so that's not it.

But we have also seen several threads here from Mac users who get bogus unlock messages with some of the maps here. I don't recall seeing the resolution to any of these issues unfortunately.

RGR

Nope.  I'm using a PC.  It does sound like, from what I'm hearing that this is not due to any changes Garmin has made to the 62S which would prohibit the use of third party maps?  I will try playing with the mapsettoolkit and see if that helps.

RGR

To Seldom
Yes, I did follow the tutorial using both Basecamp, then with Mapsource.  Both times seemed to go off without a hitch, as it the load went fine.  When I boot the 62S, it comes up with the message "can't unlock map".

maps4gps

Do you have a Garmin non-base map on the unit?
Did you put the data on a Garmin prerecorded micro memory card?

Are there any tracks, waypoints, etc. on the unit which you did not put there?
There was an issue earlier this year, where someone was having an issue with a newly purchased unit.  Turned out there was data on it from many States away - likely someone bought the unit, used it a few times and returned it for some reason (perhaps also finding it defective).  The vendor did give a full refund.

RGR

All that shows in the map list is;
1.  Worldwide DEM Basemap, NR
2.  Digital Globe
both "enabled"
There is no SD card installed yet - just the resident memory.
The only waypoints are maybe three or so that I put in trying the unit out.
FWIW - this unit was a display model inside a showcase.

Seldom

Quote from: RGR on October 05, 2011, 02:35:09 PM
There is no SD card installed yet - just the resident memory.
Something to try.

Connect your 62s to your PC.  Internal memory will show up as an external hard drive.
Check the Garmin folder for a gmapsupp.IMG.  It should be dated the same date as when you sent the maps.  Delete it, but don't delete anything else in the Garmin folder.

Send the maps to a card. 

maps4gps

It would be a good idea to backup the files which came on the unit - sometimes they need to be restored.

Display model - perhaps they had a 'locked' Garmin prerecorded memory card in the unit, that might be causing some type of problem.  Check with the store.
Also get the latest 'software/firmware' for that unit from the Garmin website.
You might also try a factory reset - who knows how a display model may have be played with.