GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Need help uploading archived tracks saved on my Oregon 450

Started by Rmorr, October 01, 2011, 07:24:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rmorr

I've archived tracks from a recent backpacking trip and from 2 dayhikes.  When I try to upload them from my Oregon 450 to my PC only the current track uploads to Mapsource.  How do I get the 3 archived tracks to upload?

Thanks!

Boyd

Mapsource is not really compatible with track and waypoint transfer on the new models like the 450. Basecamp can access all of them. If you don't want to use basecamp, then just open up the Oregon like a USB disk and look in the \Garmin\GPX folder. If you saved a track with the name Trail3 it will be found in a file named Track_Trail3.gpx.

The filenames are pretty easy to understand. Whenever you save a waypoint, it goes into a file named for the date, such as Waypoints_01-OCT-11.gpx. That file will contain all the waypoints saved on the same day.

You can open these .gpx files in Mapsource, but that will be tedious if there are a lot of them.

Rmorr

Thanks for your response once again Boyd!  I have had a little success by copying the tracks from my device, pasting them on my desktop, and then opening them with Mapsource.  I'm fine with using Basecamp too if it's a more direct or easier process.  Ultimately what I'm trying to do is save the track on Google Earth with geotagged photos so I can share with friends.  Am I on the right track?

babj615

Quote from: Rmorr on October 01, 2011, 08:00:00 PMUltimately what I'm trying to do is save the track on Google Earth with geotagged photos so I can share with friends.  Am I on the right track?

Have a look here.
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Rmorr

That's a nice site Bab and I'm going to try it.  My photos aren't appearing in the correct locations on my track even though I synchronized the time on my GPS and on my camera before starting.  I'm going to try another utility to see if it locates them properly.

Rmorr

I think the incorrect photo locations are a result of an oversight on my part.  I synchronized the times on the camera and GPS before leaving home.  I live in the Central time zone, but I crossed into Mountain time when I entered New Mexico. 

I didn't notice that the time on my Oregon 450 adjusted for the new time zone, but that appears to have happened and caused my geotagging to be off by the same amount.

Seldom

If you are using BaseCamp to geotag, just delete the tagged photo waypoints in BaseCamp (you won't delete the photos) and then re-tag with the correct time offset.  BaseCamp only recognizes JPGs, but it does a good job with them.