GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

what class sd card is best

Started by ODX, September 11, 2011, 06:19:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ODX

I have an Oregon 450 I'm gonna purchase a 16gb card maybe even a 32 if the garmin can handle it, i know that my phone will work better with a class 10 but would I need to be concerned about it on the GPS I know it would be better but would I noticed.
'nuff said!

Boyd

I have a class 2 16GB card filled with 14GB of Birdseye imagery for my Oregon and it takes forever when you first start the unit. When I got my Montana I picked up a class 10 16GB card. Have not timed it, but it still takes forever to startup. So I don't know whether you'll see much real world difference, but faster can't do any harm.

ODX

thanks Boyd, you have the real world test right there. The price difference isn't really that bad I think its a couple of dollars so I'll order one today or tomorrow. Do you know if the Oregon 450 can handle a 32gb card?
'nuff said!

Boyd

Some say yes, and others have said no. But that was awhile ago. I think it will work with the new firmware but haven't tried. Not likely that you will want one that big. As I said, it takes forever to startup with 14GB of birdseye. I think you would reach the limit of 4,000 map segments long before you could even  fill a 16GB card with traditional vector based maps.

Somewhere I read that the larger the card, the longer the startup time even if it isn't filled. Have not ever tested this myself though.

badmts

i also have 450 and need cards too- will best buy have them and do i write to them using pc and ore450 or is there another device i need to get?and 16mb is ok

Boyd

Yes you can get micro SD cards at Best Buy. We are talking about gigabytes however (gb) and not megabytes (mb). Do you intend to subscribe to Birdseye? If so, you might want a large card. If not, then a 4gb card is probably all you will ever need. For larger cards, they will probably be much cheaper if you shop around online (such as amazon).

ODX

be careful of ebay! a lot of the cards on ebay are fakes which means they aren't from the company they say they are so be careful...
'nuff said!

margo

I thought the units could only utilize 4gb.

Boyd

They use the Windows FAT32 filesystem, and I believe that limits the size of any single file to 4GB. There is a lot of conflicting info if you search Garmin support. But I can personally verify that a 16GB card works. Garmin has said that performance is best with a 4GB card, but I'm not sure if this is really true or not...

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={717f9720-6eeb-11dd-e87e-000000000000}

QuoteWhat is the largest memory card that the Oregon is compatible with?

09/27/2011

All Oregon devices have an expandable memory slot, into which a microSD card can be inserted. This card provides the user the ability to install a greater amount of detailed mapping to supplement the devices fixed internal memory.

It is recommended that a standard speed 4GB microSD card be used in order to get the best performance from the device.

While considering memory limitations, one should also consider the limitation on the number of individual mapping segments that can be transferred to each device, which may result in less than 4GB of mapping data.

The mapping segment limitations are as follows:

* Oregon 200: 4,000
    * Oregon 300: 4,000
    * Oregon 400t: 3,571
    * Oregon 400c: 3,546
    * Oregon 400i: 3747
    * Oregon 450: 4,000
    * Oregon 450t: 3,571
    * Oregon 550: 4,000
    * Oregon 550t: 3,571

If you reach the mapping segment limit before meeting the memory limit, you will no longer be able to load additional mapping.