GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

LightSquared Gets A Boost

Started by babj615, September 16, 2011, 07:16:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

babj615

We all need to call our congressmen and voice our objections to this project, unless you want your GPSr to all be paper weights.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

It can only affect a device within range of their towers.

Seems to me that this is now getting so much attention and has turned into a political circus, it's unlikely that any of these doomsday scenarios will come to pass.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on September 16, 2011, 08:30:24 AM
It can only affect a device within range of their towers.

And presumably those will stay within US borders?

-Oz-

If the FCC lets get go through I'll know that lobbyists have way too much power.  The good news is that trucking companies also have lobbyists and they use GPS for tracking loads.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

babj615

Quote from: -Oz- on September 20, 2011, 06:07:18 AM
If the FCC lets get go through I'll know that lobbyists have way too much power.  The good news is that trucking companies also have lobbyists and they use GPS for tracking loads.

"Gen. William Shelton, head of the Air Force Space Command, told House members in a classified briefing earlier this month that he was pressured to change prepared congressional testimony in a way that would favor a large company funded by Philip Falcone, a major Democratic donor, congressional sources told Fox News."

Kinda makes me miss 1776... Although, one could assume there was some level of deceit and corruption, even then...
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

Personally I think it's "game over" for lightsquared now. This is becoming a real political circus and has been linked to the Solyndra scandal by the media. Hard to believe that they have enough money to entice any politicians to stand up to this kind of heat.

alpine

I must have been out to lunch since I first heard of this project, because the broadband they were originally were going to build was Satellite based, not cell tower based.