GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Terrain View...

Started by targabill, September 24, 2011, 06:27:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

targabill

Hi All, Just wondering if is is possible to get the Terrain View, like in google maps, into Basecamp.. It is a much nicer to view TOPO the the flat 2D topo..

Also, Garmin removed the terrain view from Garmin Connect, because the use bing maps..

Now I use EveryTrail.com which is awesome for loading your track into...

Here is a view of my hike last weekend...

Boyd

Yes, you can get shaded terrain in Basecamp, but you need to purchase one of Garmin's topo products - 100k or 24k series: http://www.garmin.com/us/maps/topo

Only Garmin has the tools to make this kind of map. Third party mapmakers like those on this site have no way to do this.

targabill

I find so many bugs in Garmin products I have a hard time paying for more?? Beside if I can view my, and others, tracks on Everytrails.com, why bother.

Boyd

Well you asked if it was possible and I answered your question.  ::)

LIHIKER

Quote from: targabill on September 24, 2011, 06:27:42 AM
Hi All, Just wondering if is is possible to get the Terrain View, like in google maps, into Basecamp.. It is a much nicer to view TOPO the the flat 2D topo..

Also, Garmin removed the terrain view from Garmin Connect, because the use bing maps..

Now I use EveryTrail.com which is awesome for loading your track into...

Here is a view of my hike last weekend...

Targabill,

Take a look at a program that I have been using for a couple of months now. It is called OKmap. It is a great program, and the best of all it is free. If you like program, support the programmer.
   The best of the program that it can calibrate raster maps and create customs maps. Also part of Okmap  is a map server that it can create customs KMZ. One of the map servers that it can create KMZ is Google's terrain. With the custom map you can imported into Basecamp.
    You can also import gpx file into the program as well... The program's link  --  www.okmap.org. Any questions let me know...

Reinhard

targabill

Hi, I'll give it a try.. Is it compatible with Mac OS X

LIHIKER

sorry, it is only Windows compatible.

Reinhard