GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Finicky Dakota 20 Power Switch?

Started by EagleBoy, January 02, 2012, 07:40:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleBoy

For some reason the power switch on my D20 (the ONLY switch  - sigh) seems to be really finicky.  Some days you have to  press it (using  a tool) in various sports until it tuerns on and other days it is fine.  Of course it is out of warranty and this is my prime season for it.  Anyone have any thoughts/ever seen this?

babj615

Out of warranty:

Did you call Garmin and speak nicely to them yet?

They may be interested in assisting you, even out of warranty.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

Does it happen with fresh batteries as well as old ones?

Boyd

I agree with babj - we have seen a number of examples where Garmin stood behind their products even when the warranty had expired.

Another thought.... did you use a credit card to purchase your Dakota? Some cards offer "double your warranty" protection. For example, I know that my American Express card does that. Check with your card company.

EagleBoy

I'll have to check the credit card receipt to see if it is covered.  Good idea.  And I have not called Garmin, but I will (email?).  I hope they will cover it since it is a PITA to have to use a tool to turn switch power on and off.  Oh yeah, this is the same with fresh or old batteries.

babj615

Do not email them, you need to CALL them :)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

Definitely call. You will probably find that the initial response is "sorry, it's out of warranty". But if you plead your case in a logical and friendly way they may offer to help. And if they don't, you can ask to speak with a supervisor.

EagleBoy

Update:  for some reason the power switch is behaving correctly now.  NO IDEA what happened.  Just thought some would like to know...

Indrid Cold

Quote from: babj615 on January 03, 2012, 06:43:15 AM
Do not email them, you need to CALL them :)
I don't who or when this "Myth" started but you do not need to call them, you can email them. The advantage is that you have made a "paper trail". The one time I contacted them via email they issued me an RMA on a 4 year out of warranty GPS and replaced the unit. All I paid for was freight one way.

I rate this myth BUSTED.