GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Backing up my Oregon 450! need help please

Started by badmts, September 12, 2011, 08:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

badmts

just got 450 and it would seem backing up is step one-have winXP,Mapsource,basecamp both .is there a tutorial for this? need all the help i can get

-Oz-

What do you want to back up.

Also, pleae don't yell (all caps) in the forum.

If you want to backup the maps just drag the files off the GPS onto your computer.

I have modified your subject to be much more user friendly.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

badmts

I am guessing the original maps that come loaded from the factory,and the operating system for lack of a better term -i have seen 3 or 4 posts that said back up unit as a sort of safety net incase wrong stuff is deleted before they try free maps or cool mods. Then again I could be terribly wrong and no backup is necessary

Boyd

As Oz said, connect the unit to your computer. Create a new folder on your computer and drag all the files from the Oregon to this folder. You will then have a backup.

The actual operating system cannot be backed up but cannot be accidentally erased either. It's in a non-accessible part of memory. The operating system can be restored by connecting the unit and running Garmin Webupdater if it's ever necessary.

margo

Another way is to use a program like easy gps. That way you can edit your files to make them more meaningful, esp if you are consistant with your icons.

for instance, I have an easygps file called "huntclub" where all my waypoints and tracks from the huntclub are on there. That way I can use the same name for more than one locatation. I can only think of so many ways to say "bridge".

If I am going to the mountains to see my friend, I delete (or backup) all files on my oregon, then load the ones specific for that area.

I have not done this yet but I have noticed that the oregon saves all the waypoints you make in a day in one gpx file. This file can have many waypoints. So you can have many gpx files and many waypoints. Or you can backup your gps and save the file. then delete all waypoints and gpx files, then reload the single gpx file with all your waypoints.

I still have to find out if this is really important. It seems like something to do everynow and then to keep your files organized.

Seldom

Margo, it sounds like you are just talking about backing up and clearing your data (*.GPX).  What Boyd is talking about is backing up ALL the files that can be deleted from one of the later generation Garmins.  What you describe doesn't seem to be that kind of backup.

Boyd

Yes, it's especially important to backup the file gmapprom.img on the Oregon 450t. This is the pre-loaded US topo map (a little under 3GB) and if it gets accidentally deleted... it's gone forever.  :-[

margo

Oh, yea right. Sometimes I don't even know what I'm babbling about.  :-[

I need to do that too actually. I will use the drag method.

I do find that easy gps is simpler for doing some things. It works on my tiny netbook as well. Some of my problems with basecamp come from attempting to use it on my netbook.