GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Which Batteries ?

Started by plod1, September 30, 2011, 10:26:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

plod1

Hoping to get a Oregon 450 tomorrow. Not supplied with batteries. Which ones are best to use at what power?

Do they recharge in the unit or do you have to take them out and use a seperate charger?

What about the non rechargeable ones? What should I get to use on the trail where I have no access to recharge ?

Cheers

maps4gps

To prevent damage by trying to recharge non-rechargeable batteries, the GPSr does not recharge batteries within the unit.  You will have to remove the batteries and use an external recharger.

Seldom

I've read lots of good words about rechargeable Sanyo Eneloop NiMH batteries.  You'll need a charger.  Be sure to set your GPSr for the battery type you use.

-Oz-

I now use the Sanyo Eneloop.  Replaced sets of duracell and energizer rechargables.  The biggest advantage is they hold their juice a lot longer (so the spare set in my pack still has juice 6 months later).  I tried Zinc ones for the cold weather and they didn't seem to work too well.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!

margo

another vote for eneloops. I even tried the high cap ones but even freshly charged they act up in my camera and other gps. I've only used eneloops in my new oregon. They work great.

Get a good charger for those eneloops. I have two lacrosse and one maha charger. I like the lacrosse better but the maha holds more batteries. Once you have an endless supply of charged batteries you can really use your stuff the way you want to. I use them in cameras, headlamps, and gps's.

jtkt1981

I agree with using the Eneloops.  Have tried a few brands and they seem to work the best.  Also, the Duracell "pre-charged" batteries that have "made in Japan" written on them are actually rebranded Eneloops.  They are also recognizable by the white top around the positive tab.  (The ones with a black top are NOT Eneloops.)