News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Default settings on GPSMAP 62s

Started by Monstel, September 04, 2011, 08:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monstel

Hi there,

Garmin Mapsource allows you to change the defaults for average speed to be assumed for all types of roads. I guess these default speeds are used to estimate total triptimes for alternative routes when using routable maps. Not sure whether these defaults are actually embedded in specific maps or whether there is a single defaults set used for every routable map.
Furthermore Mapsource allows you to specify your preference for using motorways given by a value on a scale from 0 to 100%.

I wonder whether there is a way to update these defaults speeds and motorway preference on my GPSMAP 62s, this could potentially prevent the device from selecting slow non motorway routes as the preferred fastest route. (which it does every so now and then).

Your help is very much appreciated!
Regards,
Monstel

Seldom

The highway speeds are compiled in the map, not the GPSr.  But you have the option on the GPSr to set the type of vehicle (pedestrian, bicycle, car/motorcycle) and settings like "shortest distance", "shortest time".   Pedestrian won't route you over interstates.

Monstel

Dear Seldom,
Thanks for your help!
Does the fact that the speeds are embedded in the map imply that they cannot be changed at all or could it be that the default settings from Mapsource (which can be changed) are embedded in the map when downloading the map into the GPS-device?

Regards,
Monster

Boyd

On the Nuvi series the unit "learns" your average speed for each road class and uses that data to refine arrival times. This FAQ from Garmin support doesn't say that the feature is specific to the Nuvi, so perhaps your 62 is the same?

https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={c499adc0-9bb3-11dd-e87e-000000000000}

QuoteCan I train my Garmin to provide better estimated times of arrival (ETA)?

04/03/2011
Your device can actually learn from your driving and adapt its internal database to provide better estimates of your arrival time. The device will learn from a driver's habits and adjust the ETA accordingly. This is done by observing what speed a driver typically drives on each speed category of road and using that data to compute ETA.