GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map questions for Oregon 450 newbie

Started by cowgirlbarb, September 08, 2011, 06:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cowgirlbarb

So I've downloaded the AZ Topo map (I hope just a section but am not sure).  I pulled it right up on the device to use it (disabling the map that came with it) but the screen doesn't fill!  It splits diagonally across the screen with the nicely-detailed topo map in half the screen and just a few waypoint show up on the other half.  It's loaded on the device, not a card.
So I was going to delete it and try again - maybe a smaller section or less detail, and will get a card.  But, when I hitch up to the computer, I cannot for the life of me find the map I loaded so I can delete it.  I see the Oregon just fine and all sorts of files etc. and have opened everything but can't find the map to delete it.  Where is the map hiding?   Thanks.

Boyd

When you send a map to your Oregon with Basecamp or Mapsource, it is always placed in a file named gmapsupp.img. You will find it in the Garmin folder - no need to use any special software, just open the Oregon up like a disk and find the file.

But before you delete anything, have you backed up your Oregon? If not, copy all the files from the Oregon to a folder on your computer before you do anything else. This will make your life a lot easier if you accidentally delete the wrong file!

cowgirlbarb

Gotcha - thanks.  I read some more and didn't bother to delete that map, just loaded a new map set and everything now shows fine on the screen and I've got enough map to keep me busy for a while.  New question - I rode my horse today and saved a 5-mile track, works great.  But now that track is persistently on whatever map I have open - and I don't want to be seeing that track all the time.  I've now got all my tracks marked "hide on map," but this particular one keeps showing up.  I've turned the GPS on & off, adjusted everything I can think of.  How can I actually hide it until I want  to use it again?  thanks for your help.

babj615

I assume you have Entered the [Track Manager] and selected each and every track listed and set them to [Hide On Map]?

Did you also do this in [Track Manager] [Archived Tracks]?
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Boyd

Haven't used an Oregon 450 (I have the older 400t) but it may be like my Montana. If so, when you go to Setup > Tracks > Do Not Record, it will hide your current track.

babj615

Quote from: Boyd on September 09, 2011, 06:03:44 AM
Haven't used an Oregon 450 (I have the older 400t) but it may be like my Montana. If so, when you go to Setup > Tracks > Do Not Record, it will hide your current track.

If you WANT your current Track to be recorded, but you do not want to see it, you can select:

[Setup]
[Tracks]
[Track Log]
[Record, Do Not Show]

:)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s

cowgirlbarb

Have done all of the above suggestions already.  Darn track is still showing.  It is a track that I had previously recorded a week or two ago, saved it, then used it to navigate with yesterday (worked great to do that!), then I "cleared the current track."  That's the one that keeps showing up.  Any help appreciated.  I guess I can still use other tracks in the area and just be sure they're different colors, but this is just bugging me like crazy!  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

babj615

Quote from: cowgirlbarb on September 09, 2011, 10:34:08 AM
Have done all of the above suggestions already.  Darn track is still showing.  It is a track that I had previously recorded a week or two ago, saved it, then used it to navigate with yesterday (worked great to do that!), then I "cleared the current track."  That's the one that keeps showing up.  Any help appreciated.  I guess I can still use other tracks in the area and just be sure they're different colors, but this is just bugging me like crazy!  Thanks for any and all suggestions.

You have disabled all [Track Manager] [Archived Tracks]?

Can you take screen shots of or list every single file in your Garmin/GPX directory? and subdirectories?

The track will be stored in one of your .gpx files.

Backup your complete Garmin directory, then:

Rename Garmin/GPX to Garmin/GPX2

Reboot your GPSr and see if the track still shows.

If not, copy each gpx file in the Garmin/GPX2 directory to the newly created Garmin/GPX directory ONE AT A TIME followed by a REBOOT (each time). Recheck for the track showing up each time, and when it does, you will have found the gpx file with that track in it.

I suspect your real issue is you have not been able to locate it within [Track Manager] to properly disable it.

cowgirlbarb

Thanks!  I will try your suggestions tomorrow.

9/11 - I followed your suggestions and the "rogue map" has disappeared!  Thanks!  Kind of like turning a computer on and then off; just fixes things.
Thanks for all your help in getting me started, folks!

Davo

can you explain where you find gpx gpx 2 what gpxr is.  I just got my 450 and the terminology used here is above me right now.  when I look for files are you meaning on my computer on basecamp or on my gps and where do I find files on the gps.

Boyd

Connect the gps to your computer. In a few seconds it should appear on your desktop like a disk. If Windows asks what you want to do, choose the option to open folders/view files. Open the Garmin folder. Inside you will see various files.

gmapsupp.img is the most recent map you sent to the gps
gmapbmap.img is the basemap that came with the device

Open the folder named GPX. Inside you will find files with the .gpx extension. GPX stands for GPS eXchange - it's a common standard to exhange tracks, waypoints and routes between different devices and computer programs. So you will find waypoints and tracks that you've saved inside this folder. Generally speaking, you will not need to directly do anything with these, Basecamp can handle them.

Going back to the Garmin folder again... there will also be a folder inside named CustomMaps. These are maps you make yourself, so it will probably be empty. But when you do have custom maps, they will have a .kmz extension.

Again in the Garmin folder, there will be another folder named Birdseye. This will contain aerial imagery that you can download in Basecamp with a subscription. There may be a sample file in there initially, but if you don't subscribe to Birdseye you won't need this folder. Birdseye files have the .jnx extension.

How's that for a quick tour?  :)