GPSFileDepot.com

Newbie can't get coordinates to show up correctly on Idaho topo

Started by JtPeso, September 02, 2011, 11:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JtPeso

I downloaded the Idaho topo from here a bit back and loaded it in Basecamp. Everything seems fine, except I've tried to make a waypoint from downloaded coordinates and they're way off. I've gone to Edit>Create Waypoint at Coordinates. Then the box comes up and I copy the coordinates over. When I click "Show on Map," I'm way out in the ocean. So, I checked the coordinates to a topo map, and they seem to be the right ones. I checked my Preferences>General and Have them set for (top to bottom) US, True, UTM and WGS 84. And beneath the Waypoint field in that box, it reads "Converted to: 50 T 340905 4894041." Why?

What am I doing wrong?

Boyd

I guess it depends on the format of the coordinates you've got. Did you choose UTM for some reason? A more common setting would be one of the Lat/Lon formats. For example, decimal degrees would be Lat/Lon hddd.dddd

JtPeso

Nope. No reason for choosing UTM, other than the fact that I have no idea what I'm doing (no sarcasm there; it's unfortunately true). After changing to the Lat/Lon formats, it seems I'm making headway. Thanks!

Davo

Im having similar issue I looked up a few spots on google earth and wrote down the grid  the format  each has seven number N441825.6 would be an example.  My plan was  to try and put this on my base camp map then figure out how to put it on my gps.  However when I manually move my mouse to the location I obtained from Google and moving to same place on the base camp map i am off by several hundreds of feet.  I am sure there is some slick way to accomplish this but for now I am learning and trying to get some key reference points plotted on my gps that I cannot find without using the larger map on the pc instead of on the gps.   One other thing can I veiw my destination once I plug in the coordinates without manually scrolling to it.  Ok one more whats the deal with the stupid push pin what am I supposed to use that for (this is the oregon 450)