GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

postGIS and postgreSQL for newbs

Started by lanza, March 05, 2009, 04:52:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanza

I've recently stumbled upon this great site after having floated around the internet for the last few weeks trying my hand at creating vector maps for my garmin, so I apologize if this is an ignorant question:

I am in the dark about postGIS and postgreSQL. As far as I know they are utilities to convert data to specific filing structures in order to provide for more efficient GIS applications. Looking over the garmin maps tutorial, the programs are used at some parts but not others. My question is basically WHAT are postGIS and postgreSQL (i.e., how can it change a given data set), and more importantly WHY are they so advantageous to use?

Thank you!

hntr

you might start with the documentation, but probably will have to dig much deeper to answer your questions

It would be nice if someone could briefly describe it in terms of GPS map making, though.

-Oz-

postGIS and postgreSQL are powerful for what "we" do because it allows run command to be run on a set of spatial data and give output.  It allows an advanced series of commands to be run on data.  Most software that does this is either very user intensive or costs hundreds of dollars.

PostGIS is just a program to allow you to use spatial data on a postgreSQL database.  PostgreSQL is a type of SQL database like MSSQL and MySQL.

There are a few open source GIS programs that provide a GUI (user interface) for mapping that use postgresql/postgis in the background.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!