GPSFileDepot.com

will "send to device" gpsmap 60csx erase existing map?

Started by doghouse, August 20, 2011, 01:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doghouse

Trying to learn to use the gpsmap 60csx, my first gps unit. I have map source and I have NW Trails loaded into map source.  Will "send to device" gpsmap 60csx erase the existing map?

Do I need to take out the current microSD card to save the map the gps came with? Then get another microSD card to put NW Trails map on?

NW Trails is an overlay map so how do I get it to overlay onto existing map without erasing it? Any help is appreciated. thanks
I spent half my life riding, the other half I wasted.

Boyd

Your device only recognizes the map file named gmapsupp.img. Each time mapsource sends to the device, it replaces the existing gmapsupp.img file with a new one. So yes, backup any existing file before sending a new one.

But the 60csx should not have included any map files when it was new. It has a basemap, but that is burned into ROM where the user cannot access or erase it. Maps must stored on a memory card on the 60csx. If there's already a gmapsupp.img file on the card, save it. Otherwise you're good to go.

To send more than one map, choose the first you want and select the portion that you want with the map tool. Then use the dropdown menu (or Switch to Product menu) to choose another map. Now select the portion you want of the second map. Repeat as needed for more maps. Now send everything together to your 60csx.

If you only want to use the trail map along with the unit's basemap, then send it all by itself. As I said above, the basemap is permanently installed on your 60csx.

doghouse

Thank you very much. I am starting to understand. Will work on doing it how you said. Thanks alot.
I spent half my life riding, the other half I wasted.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on August 20, 2011, 01:40:47 PM
If you only want to use the trail map along with the unit's basemap, then send it all by itself. As I said above, the basemap is permanently installed on your 60csx.
Any transparent trail map, all by itself would make pretty uninformative viewing, but if you've loaded it into MapSource you've probably figured that out.  You'll probably want to add a topo map of your area of interest, following Boyd's directions above.