News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource and AZ TOPO

Started by buffettck, August 03, 2011, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffettck

Quote from: Seldom on August 04, 2011, 06:22:13 PM
If you want to speed things up, put the card in a USB 2.0 card reader.  The 60CSX is USB 1+.  USB 2.0 will cut your time by about 2/3 over sending direct to the 60CSX.

I know and been there, done that...   Some people have had problems with the 60CSx not recognizing maps not actually created/loaded with the card in the unit itself.  I was one of those people.  But...I haven't tried it with this new i7 build...

Boyd

I have never heard of such a problem (have had a 60csx myself  for about 5 years). It should make no difference how you access the card. More likely than not, a problem like that is the result of using the wrong formatting on the card. Cards must be formatted as FAT-32.

Seldom

Me neither, Boyd.  What I have experienced was a badly seated card in the 60CSX.  Result was no detail map, just the basemap.  I fixed that in the field.

Domarb

I've seen comments about 64-bit machines and Windows 7.  I'm running such a machine, and have had similar problems, I think.  I carefully followed directions, downloading either the MN Topo file or, on other occasions, the BWCA map, and the My-Trails file.  In both instances, Mapsource seems to not recognize them - I try to open the file and find the typ and tdb files, along with image files, but there is no way to "view" these as a map. It's all proving very frustrating.....

maps4gps

The MyTrails and BWCA are overlay/transparent.  There usually is no overview map for overlay/transparent mapsets; you need to be zoomed in to around 500-800' to see the mapset data.  Unfortunately, neither MapSource nor BaseCamp allows more than one mapset to be displayed at a time.  MS and BC need to be restarted after a new mapset is installed as they only check the registry for mapsets at startup.

Not sure what you are doing here 'I try to open the file and find the typ and tdb files, along with image files,' as you should not be needing to do this.

jbensman

Quote from: Domarb on August 09, 2011, 08:00:55 PM
I've seen comments about 64-bit machines and Windows 7.  I'm running such a machine, and have had similar problems, I think.  I carefully followed directions, downloading either the MN Topo file or, on other occasions, the BWCA map, and the My-Trails file.  In both instances, Mapsource seems to not recognize them - I try to open the file and find the typ and tdb files, along with image files, but there is no way to "view" these as a map. It's all proving very frustrating.....

Are you doing this:

http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/

You should not be messing with those files you mention.  Witha win7 64 bit sysytem sometimes maps don't install right.  Install My Trails first, then the other maps and it will work. 

Seldom

Quote from: Domarb on August 09, 2011, 08:00:55 PM

It sounds like you had the BWCA map correctly loaded when you wrote your first post (below).
You said you could see something in MapSource and as Boyd said, back on that thread, it's a transparent overlay, without much data.  Can you be more specific about what you are trying to do and what you perceive to be the problem?

As jbensman says you definitely don't want to mess with TYP and TDB files unless you download a map that doesn't have an installer.

Quote from: Domarb on August 05, 2011, 05:46:42 AM
I just downloaded the BWCA maps, but when I open them in Mapsource (Garmin 60CSX), all I see are small green squares which have labels (showing when I roll the mouse over them).  I have the MN topo map loaded as well..........