GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Nuvi 250 Boot Loop ( PLEASE HELP )

Started by 000005, August 11, 2011, 10:53:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hi

I have lost the sd card containing the maps that came with my nuvi 250.
I wrote to Garmin support multiple times asking what to do, and if it was possible for me to download an equivalent of my original map from their servers but they never answered (this is so annoying)

SO

I tried to load on a newly formatted sd card various kinds of supposedly unlocked maps from the internet but ..

No luck.

When i switch my garmin on it enters an endless loop ( i see the startup screen on which it says loading maps.. but after few seconds it shutdowns, then automatically restarts and the same process goes on again and again )
a couple of times i was able to see something more in between those restarts: a message saying "No detailed maps found that support routing. The nuvi cannot be used without them".

Will buying new preprogrammed sd maps from garmin solve the problem? or will it still go on with the loop?

I am quite desperate.

Is there is a way i can restore the original file structure and maps that came with the device when i bought it, so that i can
restart using my device? (unfortunately i have no backup of the original card content)

PS:
due to the fact that it starts a reboot loop i can not even mount the the nuvi as an external device

PLEASE HELP, WHAT CAN I DO?

Boyd

What country are you in? I don't believe any of the Nuvi's sold in the US ever included maps on an SD card. The map would be installed in internal memory and named gmapprom.img. If that file is missing, you will get the error message you describe. You won't find any help on this site for downloading illegal copies of maps.

The reality is that the Nuvi 250 is an old model and not worth very much. IMO, it doesn't make sense to purchase maps on a memory card - they would cost more than your unit is worth, and I don't think that will address your issue anyway.

Shop around online. I think you can find a Nuvi 205, Nuvi 1200 or similar model for about the same price as just buying a map (under $80). And then you will have new unit with warranty and the newest maps. Also check prices on factory refurbished Nuvi's since they have the same warranty as new units.

Hi !!

it's nice to have someone giving help, i am from Italy. The garmin came with Preloaded City Navigator Europe NT 2008.

Is there something i could do to break the boot loop? Would a "Hard Reset" help?

I found this procedure somewhere and that was described ad "Hard Reset" ..

1. Power the unit off.
2. Remove the battery and wait several minutes.
3. Install the battery.
4. Press and hold (and continue to hold) the bottom-right corner of the screen while powering the unit on.
5. Continue to hold the screen until the "Do you want to erase all user data?" prompt appears.
6. Press "yes" and the unit will reboot. This resets all your location settings and user preferences.

Thanks

Seldom

http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ provides routable Garmin compatible maps.  If you haven't tried it, it might be worth a shot.

Indrid Cold

Quote from: 000005 on August 11, 2011, 10:53:42 AM
SO

I tried to load on a newly formatted sd card various kinds of supposedly unlocked maps from the internet but ..
if they were maps from this site then remove the card and reformat it. If they were from another site you will have to check with your source.

Quote from: Seldom on August 11, 2011, 01:22:03 PM
http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/ provides routable Garmin compatible maps.  If you haven't tried it, it might be worth a shot.

Tried with the open maps, but it keeps Looping.. (Thanks anyway, it was a great hint)

It is Unbelievable, you loose your SD card and have to Trash the Garmin ..

I really belive that if i was to buy a New Original Map From Garmin ( Pre-programmed on their SD )

I would end up having:

1) A Still Looping Unusable Garmin Nuvi 250
2) An Expensive Useless Shiny New Garmin Map on SD

Indrid Cold

This doesn't look like an issue with maps from this site or their use.