GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

How to keep a record of daily data using Dakota 20?

Started by wuyueliu, August 09, 2011, 01:50:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wuyueliu

Dear Kindest and Nicest Helpers,

I am going to be trecking along West Hilghland way in Scotland for 7 days.

I want to use my Dakota 20 to record the daily data such as average speed, moving time and stoped time, etc. However, I noticed that there is no way to stop the 'trip computer' or save the data for the day except 'reset and screen-shot'. However, I still want a data for the 7 days as a whole. If I do what I mentioned, there will be no data saved for the whole trip.

I am wondering if there is a way or programme can save daily data and pause/start the 'trip computer'.

Hope I explained my problem clearly. I really look forward to your help.

Thank you sooooooooooooooo very much!

May

Seldom

Most of the data you want will be stored in the track log whenever your GPSr is on.  A seven day tracklog should only take a few MB, and if your DK's anything like my OR you will find it in the GPX folder inside the Garmin folder in the DK's internal memory (not on the card).  Clear the tracklog at the start of your trip and save it at the end.  If you don't go anywhere overnight, you will be able to turn of the unit without interrupting the tracklog; it will just start up again at the place you turned the GPSr off.

You can extract the data you want from the tracklog using GPSbabel.  You can view most of it using Basecamp or MapSource.

I don't think there's a way to save the trip computer as it's a snapshot of the tracklog data.