GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Help with Garmin Oregon 400T Topo maps

Started by Del H, August 07, 2011, 08:23:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Del H

I'm a 64 yr old Navy vet. I have NO savy on how to download topo maps on a micro sd card for my 400T ???. I'm lookin for 1-24,000 topo maps for GA, AL, and TN. I will send an sd card and cash to anyone who can and will do this for me. Del Hartline, UT3, Da Nang '69.

babj615

This Garmin Map DVD will get you the three states you want: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=35412

But will require loading (simple) to your PC and then sending to your GPS (not quite as simple, but not difficult).

This Garmin Map SD Card will go into your Oregon 400T under the batteries and give you instant access to GA and AL 24K Topo:
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=30154

IF you get the SD Card, make a complete backup of it before using, just in case the maps get written over by accident in the future.

If you are on a PC or MAC, and get the 24K DVD, I will help you get it installed on your Oregon, and will not charge you one dime.

Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

Seldom

Quote from: babj615 on August 07, 2011, 01:31:17 PM
IF you get the SD Card, make a complete backup of it before using, just in case the maps get written over by accident in the future.

Do you have experience that this backup works?  I'm pretty sure those cards are copy protected.  Attempt to rewrite could be a problem.

Boyd

My understanding is that the copy protection scheme uses the hardware ID of the card. So, if the map file becomes corrupted on the card, or if you accidently delete the file, you might be able to restore it from a backup as long as you are replacing the same file on the original card. Or at least, that's the theory.  ;D

babj615

Quote from: Boyd on August 07, 2011, 06:08:21 PM
My understanding is that the copy protection scheme uses the hardware ID of the card. So, if the map file becomes corrupted on the card, or if you accidently delete the file, you might be able to restore it from a backup as long as you are replacing the same file on the original card. Or at least, that's the theory.  ;D

Correct.

Or so I am told :)
Garmin GPSMap 60cs, Dakota 20, Colorado 400t, Oregon 300/400t/450/550t/650/650t, Montana 650, Lowrance Endura Sierra, nuvi 3790, iPhone 3G/4/4s
Geocaching ID: Atlas Cached
OpenCaching.com Ambassador

h2o z

So, when I was changing batteries in the woods last week and the micro SD card flipped out sometime and I couldn't find it a backup on the computer wouldn't have helped?

Boyd

No, you are out of luck if you lose your original data card. Another disadvantage to purchasing maps in this format. With the DVD version you could just send the map again. Or with the download version you could also send the map to another card, or download it again from Garmin (I think you have access to it for a year after purchase).