GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Mapsource and AZ TOPO

Started by buffettck, August 03, 2011, 06:40:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buffettck

I have the latest version of Mapsource and I just downloaded the new AZ map.  How do I get Mapsource to "see it"?  I just let it install to the default folder.  Last time I did this, it just automatically did it somehow where I could select it in Mapsource.  Thanks in advance!

maps4gps

It should work the same as last time.  You need to open MapSource AFTER you install (or update) a mapset as MapSource/BaseCamp only checks the registry at startup.
See the tutorial: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-open-maps-in-mapsource/
Was this on the same computer?
Was this the recent AZ topo with some added trails to replace an earlier version?

buffettck

No, the computer isn't the same.  The old one was a Pentium Windows XP build and this is a new core i7 build with Windows 7 Home 64 bit.

Seldom

Try downloading a copy of My Trails, by jbensman.  Install it while MapSource not running.  This has fixed this problem for other folks.

This is the link:
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/53

buffettck

Why?  It doesn't have a map for AZ.

maps4gps

For reasons currently unknow, a self installing mapset created with the 64-bit installer program and templete will not work on a 64-bit machine running Windows 7 unless a mapset created with an older 32-bit mapset is first installed.  Any mapset created using the 32-bit installer should work;  MyTrails is very small and is known to work, all of my mapsets created before 2011 used the 32-bit installer.  After a 64-bit mapset is installed you can uninstall the 32-bit mapset and the 64-bit mapset will work fine.  This only needs to be done once, any additional 64-bit mapsets will work fine.  I also had to use this method on the I7 64-bit Windows 7 machine I recently purchased. 

buffettck

What about City Navigator and Garmin TOPO US 2008?  Those aren't 64 bit maps and they downloaded and/or installed from DVD just fine.  So, apparently, Mapsource CAN indeed install and access 32 bit maps without needing a MyTrails "jump start"...

Seldom

As maps4gps says:

Quote from: maps4gps on August 04, 2011, 05:29:52 AM
For reasons currently unknown,

AFAIK no one on this site has access to Garmin's code.  This isn't the first time your problem has been reported, but lots of users don't experience it.  My Trails uses a slightly different installer script than the one used by AZ Topo and it has fixed others users installation problems.  If it doesn't work, you can always uninstall it.

maps4gps

I do not see any post saying MapSource could not access mapsets made with a 32-bit installer.

The 3rd party mapsets using a '32-bit installer' work fine; both on a 32-bit and a 64-bit machine. 
The mapsets made with code for a 64-bit install are working fine on a 32-bit machine.
The problem occurs when a mapset using a '64-bit installer' is the first mapset to be installed on a 64-bit computer running Windows 7. 

This is what we have observed.  What is causing this is currently unknown.  OZ, who made the installer scrips, has be deployed in the Near East and has minimal web access.  Until he returns, or someone with the required knowledge comes foreward with a solution, the 'install a 32-bit mapset first' is a 'fix' we have found that works. 

jbensman

Can I charge a service call each time My Trails is used to fix this problem? :)  

But on a serious note, with this known problem is there any advantage of using the 64 bit installer that is causing these problems?  What's wrong with the old installer scropt My Trails uses?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  

maps4gps

QuoteBut on a serious note, with this known problem is there any advantage of using the 64 bit installer that is causing these problems?  What's wrong with the old installer scropt My Trails uses?  If it ain't broke don't fix it.  
Advantage - Beyond my expertise, but nothing that I know of.
Wrong - Worked fine for me with all the mapsets I made with it.
ain't broke don't fix - I have always passed on updates unless they are needed to fix an error or add a needed feature.

In this case, still using 3 year old programs, I thought I should update to the current version of all the programs, etc. used in the process.  The most recent NSIS program downloadable was 1 1/2 years old as was OZ's 64-bit template.  BIG MISTAKE

Seldom

Quote from: maps4gps on August 04, 2011, 09:07:25 AM
The most recent NSIS program downloadable was 1 1/2 years old as was OZ's 64-bit template.  BIG MISTAKE

The latest NSIS compiler I can find is from 12/6/09.  That's the one I'm using, and nobody has reported problems with anything I've uploaded recently.  But I'm using a 32 bit script and with only about 300 downloads maybe the sample isn't big enough. 

Has anybody reported problems with any other maps than AZ Topo? (Sorry, don't know how to query the system on this.)  AZ Topo is the map used in the sample 64 bit installer script.

maps4gps

I am using NSIS version 2.46 daqted 12-6-09 and OZ's setup template file dated 3-7-2010.
I still have a copy of NSIS version 2.36, but may not have the earlier (32-bit only) template file.
Two or three on the State topo maps I uploaded in May and June.

buffettck

Looks like I got it working now.  I didn't install MyTrails, but I downloaded the Florida TOPO and that installed and showed up fine in Mapsource.  I could also now see the Arizona TOPO and it opened just fine.  Sending both to my slow ass 60CSx right now...

Seldom

If you want to speed things up, put the card in a USB 2.0 card reader.  The 60CSX is USB 1+.  USB 2.0 will cut your time by about 2/3 over sending direct to the 60CSX.