GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

eTrex Legend preloaded maps will be deleted?

Started by azhiker2000, August 01, 2011, 08:02:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azhiker2000

I'd love to have your map on my old eTrex Legend! However, just before hitting the final transfer button to send the map to my GPS unit, I see a warning that all Garmin preloaded maps will be deleted. The eTrex Legend doesn't have an SD card, and I'm afraid to delete the preloaded maps. Any advise as to how I can safely load your map without wiping out the preloaded maps?
Thanks in advance!

Boyd

I don't think the Legend has any pre-loaded maps, except the basemap. And that would be burned into ROM on your model where it can't be deleted. But if you're concerned, look in the Garmin folder when your unit is connected via USB. Do you see a file named gmapsupp.img there? If so, then that is the map currently loaded on your unit.

Just copy that file to a safe place on your computer and you will be able to restore it later if needed. When mapsource sends maps to your GPS, it always places them in a file named gmapsupp.img. Therefore it will delete any previous gmapsupp.img file, and I think that's what the warning you see is intended to convey.