GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

ArcMap to Garmin62s

Started by jmfrish, July 25, 2011, 09:18:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmfrish

Any suggestions on the process of getting a completed map which I made in ArcMap and then loading it onto the SD card in my 62s? The ArcMap  exported map can be saved as a georeferenced jpeg. Do I then need to convert it to an img file? Suggestions as to how to do that?
Do I then use MapSource to load it onto my 62s?

Thank you very much.

Boyd

Since you mention JPEG, does that mean your source map is raster imagery? If so, then the easiest path will probably be making a "custom" map (.kmz file). There are many ways to do this. Can Arcmap export .kmz files natively? If so, just export to .kmz. If the map image is more than 1024x1024 pixels you will need to export as a series of tiles no larger than 1024x1024 each and it can contain no more than 100 of these. There are a variety of other applications to help with this - a good place to learn more is Garmin's own forum: https://forums.garmin.com/forumdisplay.php?f=205

But if your map isn't actually raster-based, you could export the vector data as shapefiles. These can be imported into a variety of other programs and converted to a .mp file, which is then used as source for the cgpsmapper compiler to make a garmin .img file. It's confusing, but garmin .img files are actually vector-based maps.

jmfrish

Thank you. That was very helpful.
Do you know if Garmin's forum contains information on how to tile the map image. I'm sure I'll need to do that.

Boyd

There are several programs you can use for this, including g-raster and mapc2mapc. They are discussed in that forum. But since ArcMap is a sophisticated GIS program, I assume it can also do this with the full version. I use globalmapper myself, and it's just a matter of selecting the option to grid the image for export. This gives you a dialog box where you can specify the individual tile size and other parameters.

foresterscott01

I've done this dozens of times with Geo-Tiffs exported from ArcMap using orthophotos, USGS quads, tax map shapefiles, survey maps, CAD drawings, etc.

File--export map--(save as type=Tiff).  Make sure the "write world file" box is checked and JPG compression is used.  Download free "G-Raster".  Load the exported Tiff into G-Raster, choose some rescale options before export to minimize file size and tile numbers.  Drag the G-Raster export onto your 62's memory.  Very quick and easy to do.

Scott