GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Map features in Mapsource vs GPS

Started by LostinAlaska, July 14, 2011, 07:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LostinAlaska

Going to Alaska later this month and have  downloaded a number of maps including the Alaska Topo. The map looks great in Mapsource and I can use 'find' to search the map to find featurs such as Ted Stevens International Airport. When I try to find it on my Oregon 450 it does not exist. I have scrolled the gps screen to alaska and i have also tried putting the gps in demo mode and relocate Alaska when performing the search. Am I doing something wrong or is some detail not available on the GPS?

maps4gps

My OR300 (touch screen) has a limited search radius.  The 'Where to'  function uses the current location and not where the map was panned to (demo mode or not).
Seams Garmin wants one to use MapSource or BaseCamp for planning rather than the GPSr.

LostinAlaska

Thanks for the suggestions.

I have tried option number two which allows me search near a recent find, a waypoint, a map point. I pick recent find Anchorage, Transportation - all categories - and it states no results found.

If I pick All POIs, it clearly shows POIs in Anchorage and I start typing TED for Ted S airport, it lists a couple of creeks with TED in it. In Mapsource, the creeks are found by looking under geographic places.  Any other suggestions?

Thanks!