GPSFileDepot.com

Any one interested in helping me create a map of Sedona, AZ?

Started by LRomig, July 08, 2011, 08:38:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LRomig

I have extremely extensive trail data that I would like to turn into a loadable map for a Garmin 60csx. I work for the fire department and have been tasked with creating an updated map for our trail system I have compiled info from our current maps and the forest service as well as many "social" trails I have tracked by foot and bike. My goal is to have our entire district in USGS 24k topo detail with all of my trails embedded into the map. If anyone has direction for me or is willing to help let me know.

Boyd

That sounds like a good project, but potentially a complicated one. There are many approaches you could take, including the mapmaking tutorial on this site.

However, before getting into all of that take a look at this program. It can take your trail data and turn it into a transparent map that will display on top of another existing mapset (like a topo from this site or a Garmin topo). This will be much easier than making a whole map from scratch: http://www.gpx2img.com/

Seldom

Sedona's on my Desert Southwest map.  If the map suits your requirements, I could add your trails to it and make them routable.  Only problems: its about a .45GB download and its only available in a PC version.

-Oz-

Sedona is also built in to my Arizona Topo.  I could load the trails in there but making it routable would take more time.

The other option is to take Boyd's route and just make your trails as a transparent overlay and then use one of the other Arizona maps as the backdrop.
Dan Blomberg
Administrator - GPSFileDepot
GPS Units: Garmin Dakota 20, Garmin GPSMap 60csx, Nuvi 255W, Nuvi 250W, ForeRunner 110, Fenix 2, Tactix Bravo, Foretrex 401
See/Download My Maps!