GPSFileDepot.com

How to get BaseCamp to show maps that are on my OR or 62S?

Started by Seldom, July 04, 2011, 06:48:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seldom

When I hook either my OR or 62s to BaseCamp I can only pick the Basemap to show in BaseCamp.  The maps in the gmapsupp.img don't show at all.  OS is Win7-64.  BaseCamp is latest version.

IIRC, older versions would show maps that were on the GPSr.

Boyd

Basecamp can only show entire mapsets that are provided by Garmin when a device or card is connected over USB. It can't show a mapset that you built yourself by choosing tiles in Mapsource, for example. So if you have a Garmin 24k topo on a pre-loaded SD card, or the 100k topo pre-installed on an Oregon 450t, or City Navigator pre-installed on Nuvi, it will work. But if you use the City Navigator DVD to send several states to your device, that map can't be displayed over USB.

I think that's why it is only showing the basemap, because it was pre-loaded on the device by Garmin. Or at least that's the way it has always worked for me in the past, and the developers on Garmin's forum have stated that it was done by design. When you think about it, it makes sense because you should already have mapping data installed on your computer if you made the mapset yourself.