News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

USGS "US Topo" project

Started by Boyd, June 29, 2011, 01:40:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boyd

Has anyone else looked at these yet? http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html

I have tried downloading 3 different quads and cannot open any of them. They are packaged as .zip files but 7-zip, Windows and Globalmapper all say the archive cannot be opened. I tried download from both here:

http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/(xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT)/.do

And here:

http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/viewer/

But had the same problems. BTW, the new national map viewer (link above) seems to be to be very nice. Faster and easier to use than the old one.

Seldom

Downloaded the Coffeyville, KS map on http://nationalmap.gov/ustopo/index.html .

It opened in both Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro (with Terrago add in) and GM 12 32bit.

Couldn't get to the store using Firefox, but it worked with IE. I could download a bunch of topos as zipped GeoPDFs .  No problems unzipping.  The stuff I downloaded was 7.5m Temple of Sinawava quad and associated larger quads in Zion NP.  The Sinawava download had embeded aerial imagery as well as topo.

IIRC you need Terrago to open GeoPDFs outside of GM, and only the 32 bit GM does GeoPDFs.

Boyd

Thanks. I guess the files I am trying to use are corrupted. I cannot unzip them with any application. I downloaded Terrago, but doesn't help if you can't unzip the file and get a PDF. Maybe I need to try a different browser? I am using Firefox and had no problem downloading via both methods, but maybe it's creating some other issue?

I'll try the one in your link and see if it works. I am running the 64 bit version of Globalmapper 12. I didn't realize it couldn't open geopdf's.  ???

Seldom

Just tried GM 64.  Got a polite little "Not Supported in 64 Bit" message.

Boyd

Well I tried using Internet Explorer and am still having issues. When I use the USGS Store to download maps from my area, the download link says the map is ~35MB. Firefox only downloads a 10MB file however. When I tried the same thing in IE, I got this when the download reached ~10MB. I wonder if the 35MB filesize is supposed to be before or after compression?

I just tried downloading the Coffeyville East quad and the site says it's ~17MB. Download completed normally but the file is again, 10MB. I cannot unzip it, like the others I've tried. I'm downloading the 32 bit version of GM right now and will see what happens. But if the USGS file can't be unzipped, I don't think that will help....

Very strange. I am using Vista 64. I could also try this on my HP Slate with Win7 32 I suppose.

[edit]Just tried 32 bit GM 12 and it cannot open the zip archive containing the Coffeyville quad either.  >:(

[edit2]I tried using Google Chrome on my HP Slate with Win7 32. When the download reached 10MB it stopped, giving an error message that it was interrupted. What is going on here?...

[edit 3]Tried to download another Quad from PA with Firefox and when it reached 10mb...

Indrid Cold

Well, it's all working here... Internet problems? Try a download manager like DAP that does multiple streams and let's you resume.

Boyd

It's weird, because everything else works fine. I download big files all the time and in fact just downloaded the Global Mapper 32 bit version which is ~42MB. There was a support e-mail address in the automated download message I got from the National Map, so I wrote them. Heh, probably won't hear back for awhile, especially with the holiday weekend.  :)

I assume this is the download mgr you're talking about. Will give it a try - thanks. http://www.speedbit.com/

jtkt1981

Working fine here.  Successfully downloaded and viewed Coffeyville KS east and west quads.  (As well as several in my area.)  Running WinXP 32 bit using Chrome for the browser.

Boyd

Well, thanks everyone, but it still hangs at 10MB. DAP was a good suggestion, but it exhibits the same problem.

I am in Southern New Jersey, so I may be accessing different servers than you guys. Or maybe Verizon DSL issue (only service I can get... I live way out in the woods.  :) ). Only other things I can think of would be something to do with my router, firewall or antivirus software (Trend Micro). I have never seen the software block anything without telling me, and I don't know how any of these things would allow me to download the first 10MB but then stop. Almost seems like the problem has to be on the server end, or somewhere in between them and me. I will try downloading some other USGS stuff and see what happens. Never had any problems there before this.

???

Boyd

OK... I still don't know what's wrong, but I know it's a "Windows Thing". I am able to download the maps on my MacBook Pro connected to the same network using Firefox. I got a 33.5MB file on the Mac that had been cutting off at 10MB on both of my PC's. I thought it might be Windows firewall, but turning that off made no difference.

Now this leads to my next question. Everything works as it should with the TerraGo toolbar in Acrobat on my PC. And I can open the geoPDF in Globalmapper as well, but everything is merged into a single layer in Globalmapper, so the aerial image makes it hard to see some of the line details. I thought Globalmapper would create separate layers for the different features. Is that something that is only licensed to TerraGo?

Also, while the geoPDF does a pretty good job of mimicing the style of the old 24k maps, there is no forest shading or other landcover. I guess that's something they don't plan to support with US Topo?

Seldom

When you use GM to generate a GeoPDF from vector data the product has layers you can show or hide in Acrobat, with or without Terrago.  But I see what you mean about everything being a single layer in GM.  It's hard to see how that's useful at all.  Maybe we should put layer control on Mike's V13 wishlist?

Indrid Cold

Quote from: Boyd on June 30, 2011, 06:57:42 PM
OK... I still don't know what's wrong, but I know it's a "Windows Thing". I am able to download the maps on my MacBook Pro connected to the same network using Firefox. I got a 33.5MB file on the Mac that had been cutting off at 10MB on both of my PC's. I thought it might be Windows firewall, but turning that off made no difference.
Glad you were able to get the files. Like Jobs said "it just works". Of course, except when it doesn't :)

Boyd

Yeah... that was frustrating. Still wondering what the problem was, but now that I've seen the US topo maps, I don't think I'll be downloading very many more. They have a nice clean look to them, but they *really* are not the same thing as the DRG 24k maps. Kind of a shame.

I had hoped maybe we could access the vector data in Globalmapper, but that doesn't seem possible. I found a thread at the Globalmapper forum that said TerraGo has actually copyrighted the term "GeoPDF" so Globalmapper can only make "Geo-enabled PDF's" (or something like that). Guessing there's a licensing issue preventing Globalmapper from using the layers in the file.

Here's a comparison of an area around me. The DRG conveys so much more information about the landscape...

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on July 01, 2011, 02:43:31 PM
now that I've seen the US topo maps, I don't think I'll be downloading very many more. They have a nice clean look to them, but they *really* are not the same thing as the DRG 24k maps.

All the USGS quad maps in my area are ported to GeoPDFs at the USGS Store.  Of course DRG's handier to use (no collars).  Comparing the USGS topo contours with my maps (10 meter grid) of the same area, the USGS contours look sandblasted.

Boyd

The elevation contours in the geoPDF above also appear to have been smoothed. Also looks like they have been looking at Garmin's maps, because the lines have gotten fatter. But I like mine better since I used a 5 foot interval and NED19 LIDAR DEM to bring out the detail in this flat coastal area. :)