GPSFileDepot.com

News:

Welcome to GPSFileDepot!

Main Menu

Best practices for hiking route planning

Started by teamcary, June 24, 2011, 06:14:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teamcary

First, thanks to everyone for all the great information on this website.  Without it, I'd really be nowhere.  I recently purchased an Oregon 450, Garmin's Topo 24K maps for my region (Minnesota), and I've downloaded a few other maps from this site.  I've been reading the tutorials, searching the forums, and reading the Oregon Wiki.  I've been playing with BaseCamp, and I've been walking around my neighborhood getting a feel for the Oregon.  I'm starting to get an understanding for what I can and can't do, which is quite a bit different than my preconceived notions. 

What I'd like help with now is "best practices".  I bought the Oregon exclusively for use with dayhiking.  What I'd like to understand is how other hikers plan their trips in advance, and prepare their GPS with intended routes or waypoints or tracks. 

Before I made my purchases, my goal was to be able to view an entire trail on the computer, in advance, to help select which trail to take.  I have loads of hiking books for the state, but the maps in them are marginal.  When I read about one I want to try, I figured I could somehow use BaseCamp to mark the trailhead and other significant points (e.g. a good place to rest), then load all of that information onto the Oregon for use during the actual hike, to help keep me on course.  I'm less interested in using the Oregon to track where I've been, and more interested in using it to guide me as I'm going along the trail.   

I now understand that BaseCamp can't display multiple maps simultaneously.  This presents a real problem, as most trails aren't in Garmin's map.  I naively assumed that Garmin's map would include the major trails in my state (like those in State parks, for example).  I did find some trails in overlay maps on this website, which is fine during the hike using the Oregon, but doesn't really help much while planning in advance on the computer (since only one map can be shown at once).

So how do others do it?  I suspect I'm missing some key understanding.  I'd like to hear from other hikers about the process they use to plan ahead, how they use software to plan hikes, and how they get their get their intended routes into the Oregon.   Thanks in advance for the advice and guidance.

greenfrog5

I'll take a stab, though I'm no expert.

I don't use Base Camp either, I use Map Source, but I've tried Base Camp.  Are you loading the maps you download directly to the unit?  Does Base Camp allow installing maps 'into' the pc-side software? (or just reading them off the unit?)  If you load them into Map Source using MapSourceToolKit, you can still only view one map at a time, but you can view all the maps that you install (Garmin maps, overlays from here, maps you create yourself, etc).

From this, you can create Waypoints, Routes, etc. following the trails on the map.  If necessary, switch between maps, but you can view any map that will be installed on the GPSr unit.  I first create significant Waypoints, then create a route, making sure to click on map features for all intermediate points, and the major Waypoints.  (Clicking the map features prevents new intermediate waypoints from being created at insignificant points along the trail.)  Then when you navigate the route, it won't get stuck on an intermediate waypoint that you didn't get close enough to to 'pass', and will basically follow the major Waypoints.

On the Oregon, you have 'custom maps' which lets you upload geo-aligned image file maps to use on the unit.  You can use Google Earth to crudely align (overlay) images, and I believe KMZ files are compatible with the Oregon.  You can also use software (OziExplorer, GlobalMapper, others) to more precisely specify alignment points and georeference the images, ultimately transfering them to your unit.

Personally, my 'best practice' is:
I use what the Oregon calls Custom Maps to view a map in Map Source, create Waypoints and a Route.  I hike navigating the route and viewing the Custom Map on my GPSr eTrex, saving a Track and more Waypoints (gates, trailheads, water, etc) as I hike.  I save all this, and use my GPS-ed Waypoints to help improve the map alignment (replace the Google Earth visual-waypoints and re-align the map).  I do all that because I'm using the maps and data to create local trail maps to share with this community, but without the map-making part, you could relax the 'best' practice to suit your needs.

I hope that helps, because I've been searching for my own map-making 'best practices'.  Also, I keep a very organized folder structure to stay sane.

[EDIT: I just realized the Oregon's Custom Map feature probably isn't available in Map Source since this recent feature is likely only included in Base Camp.  I use MOAGU, which is an older program that 'hacks' images to work on many Garmin units and is compatible with Map Source.  (With some tweaking MOAGU can work with the Oregon/Map Source too)  But all of my general email should apply to maps available on this website, loading them into Map Source first, then using that to load them to the GPSr unit]

Aaron

Boyd

Yes, custom maps cannot be displayed in mapsource, only in Basecamp and Google Earth (or other programs that can display .kmz raster imagery). See Garmin's tutorial for making a simple trail map here: http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/onthetrail/custommaps

There are other programs that let make this easier and more flexible, but their tutorial is a good start if you want to make a simple map. When you activate this map on your gps along with the Garmin topo, the roads, streams and POI's from your 24k Garmin map will also show.

teamcary

Thanks very much for your replies.  The difficulty I am having is in using the computer to create waypoints, routes, etc for later use on the Oregon.  I've attached two screenshots to illustrate the point.  The first is a section from Garmin's 24k map, in an area where there are several trails.  I'd like to select one of them based on what I see in the topography on the map.  Unfortunately, the trails themselves are listed on another map (mytrails), which I downloaded from this site.  That's the second screenshot, showing the same area.  If I switch to that map on the computer, then I can see the trails, but only against the plain white background.  It's very difficult to even identify which trail each red line represents without also seeing the topo data on the screen simultaneously.  It's impossible to see which trails go near rivers, which near peaks, and which near valleys ... much less choose significant waypoints, etc. 

If I use MapInstall to install this section of both maps to the Oregon, I can see it all overlaid just fine.  But that's a really small screen for planning out hikes in advance, and I'm hoping that I'm simply missing some important step here ...

Again, thanks for suggestions!

Boyd

That's one of the problems with transparent maps. Garmin does not support them with their software, and they are not interested in encouraging the use of free maps either. The solution, of course, is to just do your planning on the Oregon itself where you can have both maps active.

Alternately, if you made a custom map (.kmz file) of the area you wanted, you could display it at the same time as your transparent trail maps. Or another solution would be to subscribe to Garmin's new USGS 24k topo Birdseye product. These can also be displayed at the same time as any Garmin vector map (including the transparent trail map). They are having some issues getting this service up and running however: http://gpstracklog.com/2011/06/garmin-birdseye-topo-us-screenshots.html

jbensman

I agree that Garmin should allow more than one map to be viewed at a time.  But you cannot.

What I usually do is switch back and forth between maps.

Someone above told you to create a route.  That may be the way to go for his GPS, but it is not the way to go for your GPS or any of the newer GPSs with track manager.  You do NOT want to use route for off road travel with a 450.

Here is how I do it:

Use the track tools to draw a track of where I want to go.  You can just trace the trail in My Trails.

Then I go t0: http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/elevation  to add elevation data to the track.  This will enable track manager to identfy high and low points of your trip and for you to see the elevation profile on your GPS.   (if you have Garmin 24K topo loaded on your GPS, skip this step)

Then add waypoint anywhere you want (lunch spot, scenic view, etc.)

Save the track and waypoints as a gpx file in the Garmin\gpx\directory

Turn on GPS, Where to, tracks, select the track for you trip and then go.  You can then see elevation profile in the elevation screen, active route gives distances to high points, low points, and waypoint along the track, and the end.  Your track will also be highlighted on the map screen

If you ever get a better track or more accurate track than what My Trails has or any missing trails, you can send me a track to add or correct the map.  I also like additional points like parking, scenic views, water, bathrooms, etc.  So you can also send me waypoints for that stuff to add to My Trails;. 

teamcary

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

I've been playing with BaseCamp, switching back and forth between the topo map (with no trails) and the trail map (with trails, but no context).  Unfortunately, I find it to be too cumbersome to really be useable this way.  Without seeing both simultaneously, it's almost impossible to identify which trail is which.

I've also made a couple of custom maps, just using my local area and following Garmin's tutorial.  This works OK, but I really don't think it's practical for most hikes in State Parks and such, since I don't have a good trail map to start with – which is part of what I was hoping to overcome by buying the topo maps in the first place.

So I'm left thinking that it's simply infeasible to plan out routes in advance on the computer, then transfer the data to the Oregon for the actual hike.  That's really too bad, because it cripples the GPS for about half of what I wanted it for.  I can still use it to record our track while hiking, etc, but I'm not sure that's enough functionality for me to keep it.  I may just return it and wait a couple more years for the software to catch up. 

Again, thanks for the information. 

johnsl0502

I'm also a little bummed as I wanted to try and accomplish pretty much the same things as you have posted. There was a thread on a similar topic in another forum: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23222   I'll restate one more possibility for you to consider. Many of the hikes that I was looking for had 'tracks' already posted somewhere online. Lots of different hiking sites contain these gpx or gdb files that you can download to your handheld and follow while you're hiking. Last weekend I hiked the Knob Mountain/Jeremy's run trail in the Shenandoah national Park. There were at least a couple of postings where folks had saved their track and shared it online. These tracks can viewed over the topo's available on this site and you're good to go.

Boyd

Quote from: teamcary on June 27, 2011, 12:28:32 PMI may just return it and wait a couple more years for the software to catch up. 

I doubt that will happen - especially in "a couple years". Based on what you've posted, you have some very specific needs and I'm not sure if anyone will want to make those kinds of maps. Garmin doesn't seem very motivated, although they do have two examples of trail maps:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=91298
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=91299

Have you considered my suggestion above to use Birdseye imagery (aerials and USGS topo) along with MyTrails? You can overlay those in Basecamp.

maps4gps

QuoteThat's really too bad, because it cripples the GPS for about half of what I wanted it for.  I can still use it to record our track while hiking, etc, but I'm not sure that's enough functionality for me to keep it.  I may just return it and wait a couple more years for the software to catch up.
Tell Garmin; if enough people are unwilling to purchase their product, maybe they will include the necessary functions.

Seldom

Quote from: Boyd on June 27, 2011, 01:25:28 PM
Quote from: teamcary on June 27, 2011, 12:28:32 PMI may just return it and wait a couple more years for the software to catch up. 

I doubt that will happen - especially in "a couple years". Based on what you've posted, you have some very specific needs and I'm not sure if anyone will want to make those kinds of maps.

There are three problems that need to be solved here.  Find decent trail data (Not sufficiently commercial.  MyTrails is probably the most comprehensive.), generate routable trails and POIs (not too hard to do if your interested and have the data and permission to use it), generate DEM data to create route profiles (not technically possible with current map compilers).  I do routable trails, but unless teamcary wants to go someplace in my area of interest, he/she/they will need to learn to do it themselves.

jbensman

Quote from: johnsl0502 on June 27, 2011, 01:17:40 PM
I'm also a little bummed as I wanted to try and accomplish pretty much the same things as you have posted. There was a thread on a similar topic in another forum: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=23222   I'll restate one more possibility for you to consider. Many of the hikes that I was looking for had 'tracks' already posted somewhere online. Lots of different hiking sites contain these gpx or gdb files that you can download to your handheld and follow while you're hiking. Last weekend I hiked the Knob Mountain/Jeremy's run trail in the Shenandoah national Park. There were at least a couple of postings where folks had saved their track and shared it online. These tracks can viewed over the topo's available on this site and you're good to go.

Got a track?  If I remember correctly, the NPS data I have for shenodoh sucks.

jbensman

There IS a way to combine My Trails and other maps on this site so you can see both in MapSource/BaseCamp.  But I am not sure if there would be copyright issues on doing this.  And while I would have no problem with people doing this with My Trails, I worry other map authors may object.   So before discussing how to combine img from multiple mapsets, I would want to first be told it is OK to discuss.  If I should NOT have posted this message, feel free to delete it. 

maps4gps

When I looked at the metadata for some of the NPS trail data sets, the source data ranged from GPSd to the digital USGS files for the 100k maps. 

johnsl0502

Quote from: jbensman on June 27, 2011, 10:06:36 PM
Quote from: johnsl0502 on June 27, 2011, 01:17:40 PM

Got a track?  If I remember correctly, the NPS data I have for shenodoh sucks.

jbensman, I think this is what you were asking me?

Here's one example of what I meant:
http://www.hikingupward.com/SNP/JeremysRun/
The links to the gps files can be found in the yellow shaded area near the top of the page. The *.gdb file appeared to work fine today (I did get a Save File message box) but the *.gpx file caused an error.
Here's another link for the same hike:
http://www.midatlantichikes.com/id82.html
gps file link is below the topo pictured